none
Create a shortcut to a URL that opens IE maximized RRS feed

• Question

• Using Windows XP, I created a shortcut in the Startup folder that opens a URL in IE 8. But I want that IE window to come up maximized, and I want it to come up on the secondary monitor instead of the primary monitor. How can I do that?

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 9:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I know, IE seems not provide this function you mentioned in the article. The only way to force Internet Explorer to launch in a custom size window is to close all IE windows except the current one; then, resize and re-position the last window opened where you want it, and exit Internet Explorer.

Now re-open Internet Explorer, and it should have automatically saved the last window size and position; keep in mind that if you have multiple IE windows opened, the last one's size and position will be remembered.

If it not work, here's the registry keys that would need to be edited, according to what I found:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
    -->delete the "Window_Placement" subkey

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Document Window\Maximized
    -->change the value of this key to "Yes"

please backup Registry first.

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Regarding your second question, I would like suggest to you post the question on Microsoft Script center forum for help to see if the script can address your issue.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/scriptcenter/en-US/home

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by kenelder48 Monday, November 18, 2013 8:47 PM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 1:36 AM