none
Project 2010 - 2 base calendars assigned to resources and tasks but allocation follows only one RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

I seem to be getting myself confused. I am trying to set up a project with two working calendars. 

• I have set the standard working time in the standard calendar to 7.5hrs starting at 08:30 on all working days to give 7.5 hrs, so that by default the shortest day is chosen.
    • I have a off shore calendar set at 08:00 start and a 8hr day
    • And an onshore calendar set at 08:30 start and a 7.5hr day.

I have two resources, one allocated with the onshore one allocated with the off shore calendar. I have new tasks auto-scheduled, fixed units effort driven. I created eight tasks, two 6hr, two 7.5hr, two 8hr and two 9hr work base tasks and allocated one of each work effort to the onshore and off shore resource.

When I look at my tasks each pair has the same start and end date, and when I look at task usage each pair is identically allocated.

• The 6hr tasks have both resources at 80%, when I expected the offshore to have 75%, as it has a greater working day so 6h allocated/8h available
    • The 7.5hr tasks I expected to have on shore with no % and off shore with 94%
    • The 8hr tasks, I expected to have the onshore reources over two days but the off shore at a full day, however in the taks usage it shows 7.5hrs the first day and 0.5hrs on day 2
    • The 9hrs tasks similar with the off shore, 7.5hrs on day and 1.5hrs the next.

I have even allocated the calendars to the tasks also but this does not seem to have any effect.

Can anyone explain why I am not able to get project to use the maximum hours in the working days pattern?

Thanks

Little update - I inversed this and had the default as 8hrs and it works ok for the items over 8hrs work but calculates all the tasks for less than 8hrs on the 8hr calendar so all the 7.5hr resource tasks are wrong.
    • Edited by LennyG Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:36 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 9:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Your understanding of units isn't the correct one, I'm sorry.

The basic formula, when assigning resources to tasks, is Units=Work/Duration.

Do note that the calendar of the working hours does not appear in this formula. So a task with a duration of 8 hours (1 day) and with 6 hours of work will show units of 75% irrespective of workig time. The difference between the two is that this 8 hours duration is planned differently according to the calendar: the onshore-resourced tasks systematically start and end later!

To make Project use the full capacity of the resource during working time, double-click the task row , choose resoruces pad and change units into 100%. Now duration will change.

Finally, this subject  (relationships between Units, Peak, Work and Duration) is really vast - there are many parameters and options; at least read the help on Task Types and Effort driven - but a book and preferably a course would definitely not be a bad investment.

Good luck!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:37 AM
  • Thanks, I thought I did understand units until I tried to read around so maybe in some cases it is not all together good, I think you have now put me back to where I first started before I read lots of links on assignment units and got confused. But may I ask another question to make sure?

How do I get project to assign my resources at 100% units without me having to change inidividual tasks?

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:48 AM
  • Hi,

To do it resource by resource:

Select all tasks

On the resource ribbon, click assign resoruces

Select one resourcethen click replace

In units for that same resource enter 100%

Click OK.

Greetings,

Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:22 PM