none
Hyper-v physical disk help

Question

• Hi,

I'm having an issue setting up a server 2016 VM on a hyper-V server 2016. I installed 4 2TB disks to setup a mirrored array on the server, so when I setup that VM I added the 4 disks as physical disks in the SCSI controller in hyper-v manager, and everything seemed fine. Power loss occurred a week later, and I noticed that the server VM hadn't auto-started because it couldn't find the physical disks. The hyper-v had partially taken control of the storage pool and I couldn't pass it through to the server VM. I figured it might have been a one-off so I wiped the disks and took them offline to add them to the server again, so once again it worked fine. but a few weeks later we lost power, and again the server VM had lost the disks, this clearly isn't a good procedure to have to rebuild the array every time the server turns off.

I assume I'm doing something horribly wrong, but I am just at a loss. I can provide any additional info if someone would be willing to help me out.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:02 PM

All replies

• Why are you connecting to the physical disks?  Create a VHDX on the volume and use that.  Very little reason to use a physical disk.
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 11:16 PM
  • Agree with essjae.  Use virtual disks instead of connecting to physical.  In fact, if you have created some sort of configuration on the physical level, in your case mirroring, and then you pass those disks to the virtual machines will not see that because you have to offline the physical disks at the host level in order to present them to the virtual.  If you want to make use of the physical configuration on the host, use virtual disks on the VMs.

tim

Friday, February 8, 2019 2:50 PM
  • That makes sense from what I've seen, I'll try that.
    Friday, February 8, 2019 5:47 PM
  • I'll give it a try then, I figured I was approaching this the wrong way.
    Friday, February 8, 2019 5:49 PM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 11, 2019 8:36 AM
  • Hi,

Just check the situation about your issue.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 18, 2019 2:44 AM