Hard faults/min ? RRS feed

• Question

• SearchProtocolHost.exe and SearchIndexer.exe

are reporting ca 150 and ca 10 hard faults/minute in the Resource Monitor.

These are the only applications giving ANY hard faults. The rest of the applications (ftp server, svn server etc) all have 0 in this column.

Can I ignore the reported error of "hard faults/minute",

or should I take some action ?

Saturday, October 4, 2008 11:30 PM

Answers

• Hi

"A hard fault (also known as a page fault) occurs when the page of the referenced address is no longer in physical memory and has been swapped out or is available from a backing file on disk. It is not an error. However, a high number of hard faults may explain the slow response time of an application if it must continually read data back from disk rather than from physical memory."

Reference: Windows Vista Performance and Reliability Monitoring Step-by-Step Guide:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722173.aspx

As you can see from the description, these are not errors.

If this was a 'Program' that you are using, and the program was running slower than normal, you might see a number like 2500 Hard Faults/Min, this could indicate that there is not enough available memory (RAM) for the program to run properly.

Since the SearchProtocolHost.exe  and the  SearchIndexer.exe are both low priority, background processes, I would not be worried about the number of hard faults you are seeing.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Monday, October 6, 2008 10:12 PM