none
DNS Issue - Unable to ping all servers between 2 domains RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 domains.

Domain A

Domain B

I can ping some servers from Domain A to Domain B but not all.  I have looked at the network settings on Domain B servers and they look the same.  I am able to ping all servers if I use FQN.  Any troubleshooting ideas in order to fix?

Thanks

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 1:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, If you can ping the FQDN and IP and not able to ping the short names then could be relates to DNS Suffix's. 

Past here result of ipconfig/all

Thanks

Umar

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 1:49 PM
  • Hi,

If you have a couple computers\servers having the issue, you can workaround it by adding multiple DNS suffix (of Domain A & B) in the DCs LAN properties--> TCP\IP v4 properties-->Advanced--> DNS--> Add dns suffix. You will be able to add both domains there.

If you have more computers, then use GPO to configure multiple DNS suffix. (Add DNS Suffix Search List in GPO-->Computer Configuration-->Policies --->Administrative Templates-->Network-->DNS Client. Go to  DNS Suffix Search List, Add the DNS suffixes separated by comma)

Worth going through the below MS article to get more information.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/kb/294785

Thanks,

Abhi...

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 8:15 PM
  • Hi monolothichernal,

>I can ping some servers from Domain A to Domain B but not all.

When you can't ping the servers, which one do you append on the ping command, IP address or FQDN.

In addition to the above suggestions regarding with DNS suffix, if you want domain A and domain B to be able to communicate with each other, it is recommended to build trust relationship between them.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:16 AM