P2P call on the same network and loss of Lync connectivity RRS feed

• Question

• On a Lync 2010 system, if an internal call (P2P) on the same data network is taking place and the FE server fails, connection to the FE server is gone, or the server is turned off, will that internal voice or video call stay up or will it drop immediately? Thanks.  
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:42 PM

Answers

• It depends. I am pretty sure that if the call has already been established then it should remain up and running as the media stream is only between the clients and no further sip signaling is required. Same goes for PBX calls if you have media bypass enabled. However, presence and user lookup will not work, and neither will trying to initiate any new sessions (eg. adding sharing to the existing call, adding users to the call, making new calls, etc.)

Cheers,

Max

• Proposed as answer by Kent-Huang Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kent-Huang Friday, March 1, 2013 9:53 AM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:15 PM
  • Yes that is correct.

This is also correct if its an Enterprise server and the backend SQL goes down. (most people tend to forget that the Back end SQL is equally important to the front end in a Enterprise setup)

Best Regards // Tommy Clarke - Please follow me @ Blog
    and Twitter

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:31 PM
  • It would stay up but new session will not work.

Kent Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:24 AM

All replies

• It depends. I am pretty sure that if the call has already been established then it should remain up and running as the media stream is only between the clients and no further sip signaling is required. Same goes for PBX calls if you have media bypass enabled. However, presence and user lookup will not work, and neither will trying to initiate any new sessions (eg. adding sharing to the existing call, adding users to the call, making new calls, etc.)

Cheers,

Max

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:15 PM
  • Yes that is correct.

This is also correct if its an Enterprise server and the backend SQL goes down. (most people tend to forget that the Back end SQL is equally important to the front end in a Enterprise setup)

Best Regards // Tommy Clarke - Please follow me @ Blog
    and Twitter

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:31 PM
  • It would stay up but new session will not work.

Kent Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:24 AM