Undoing New Microsoft Edge tab setting. RRS feed

• Question

• When I first got a New Microsoft Edge setup menu I allowed the new tab selection. New tab gives me a Google type screen which I do not want. The new tab overrides the open Microsoft Edge with a specific page setting. At the time I tried uninstalling New Microsoft Edge and reinstalling but the second install did not allow me to change the new tab selection. 

Now that Microsoft is forcing New Microsoft Edge, I am asking if someone knows how to disable the new tab settings. 

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

"New tab gives me a Google type screen which I do not want. "

Do you mean you want to customize edge new tab page on Edge Chromium, right?

If yes, we could refer to the following link to customize new tab to a desired screen.

How to customize new tab page on the new Microsoft Edge

I noticed you said after second installation, Edge chromium not allow you to change new tab selection, any error message occur when you try to change it? Or does it gray out on that option?

"I am asking if someone knows how to disable the new tab settings. "Do you mean you want to have a behavior that is when we tick + to create a new tab, nothing occur. right?

If yes, as I know it is not available to achieve on Edge chromium.

Please note: Information posted in the given link is hosted by a third party. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy and effectiveness of information.

Bests,

" Please note that new questions regarding ‘Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment’ could NOT be posted in this forum anymore. This thread could be followed up until Mar-30th. We will be moving your thread to Microsoft Q&A if the deadline is missed. Register our new platform Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! for new questions or discussion. Check more details on sticky post.

Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:08 AM
  • I installed new Microsoft Edge on a computer.

To try to get around the new tab setting I did not accept the new tab setting when offered.

What I got was the first page open goes to the page in On Startup Open a specific page selected. The second time I open I get the new tab page.

On the earlier Microsoft Edge, the whole page opens to Bing picture. Today, I have High alpine color in Colorado. I do not have that many urls that I go to so I can just click on the bing.com, a drop down appears and I select.

On the new Microsoft Edge installation, there is a background picture covered with URL selections and news stories (focus). I do not want the news stores and I rather take the extra step to select what URL I want.

Let me look at your link  https://www.windowscentral.com/how-customize-new-tab-page-new-microsoft-edge. If I select Inspirational, I get a picture along with Microsoft News, and a bunch of icon selections. I can turn off Microsoft news by selecting gear, Custom, Content Off. I can turn off individual selection icons by selecting the three ... and selecting Remove.

The way I will approach this is to click Bing and today I am back to  the High Alpine color in Colorado. The setting On Startup Open a specific page does not bring up the page entered all the time.

Friday, July 10, 2020 2:15 AM