none
DPM Credentials

Question

• Does DPM use the credentials again to run jobs after the install? I have to change the administrator domain password on the network and I see something from my DPM server doing something with that account when it connects to the remote machines. Is there some config file I should be looking at?

** I ran a report and I see a job running at the time referenced in my log with the administrator account.

• Edited by Mike_Kubi Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:40 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

No, the credentials suppplied are only used at the time of the Agent deployment.  Changing your password after agents are deployed does not effect anything in DPM.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 11:41 PM
  • Event 4624 describes the logon type / account in the event log  under security. I see a logon for the administrator account as soon as the backup job starts. Type 4

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/logon-types.html

An account was successfully logged on.
    Logon Type: 3
    New Logon:
    Security ID: INTERNAL\DPM01$
    Account Name: DPM01$
    Account Domain: INTERNAL

When i start a backup i can se the DPM computer account authenticate , can you post the log entry (removing/replacing any private information)

i dont see any logons not from the dpm computer account

my blog is at http://flemmingriis.com , let me know if you found the post or blog helpfull or leaves room for improvement

• Marked as answer by Mike_Kubi Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:21 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

No, the credentials suppplied are only used at the time of the Agent deployment.  Changing your password after agents are deployed does not effect anything in DPM.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 11:41 PM
  • Is there a reason why Im seeing an event 4624 at the same time the backup  job is running with the domain administrator account ?

Mind you I see this event on the target PC

• Edited by Mike_Kubi Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:18 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:12 PM
  • what is an event 4624 ?

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:39 PM
  • Event 4624 describes the logon type / account in the event log  under security. I see a logon for the administrator account as soon as the backup job starts. Type 4

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:04 PM

An account was successfully logged on.
    Logon Type: 3
    New Logon:
    Security ID: INTERNAL\DPM01$
    Account Name: DPM01$
    Account Domain: INTERNAL

When i start a backup i can se the DPM computer account authenticate , can you post the log entry (removing/replacing any private information)

i dont see any logons not from the dpm computer account

my blog is at http://flemmingriis.com , let me know if you found the post or blog helpfull or leaves room for improvement

• Marked as answer by Mike_Kubi Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:21 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:34 PM
  • I found the offending process to be SQL server on the target computer. It was coincidence that the event timing was the same. This post gave me a clue

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserversecurity/thread/abcc4bb2-15f9-4526-a80d-f7257bd6598e/

Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:20 PM
  • Hi!
    Please help me, anyone. when I install DPM agent and add the server for backup then there next show test box username and Password and domain. the domain is already shown but I can't understand whois put username and password mean Active directory or Server name I already add.
    help me.

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 4:39 AM
  • Hi!
    Please help me, anyone. when I install DPM agent and add the server for backup then there next show test box username and Password and domain. the domain is already shown but I can't understand whois put username and password mean Active directory or Server name I already add.
    help me.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2018 4:39 AM
  • Hi,

As stated on that screen, you need to enter a domain user name and password of a user who has administrative rights on the server you are installing the agent on.  The domain name is populated automatically based on the protected servers domain, but you can overwrite that if the user is in a trusted domain that has administrative rights on the server.

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 2:28 PM