IE11 Emulation 3 dots RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have installed IE11 on my device and when I pull up the developer tools and then emulation mode all it is showing it 3 dots. I have enabled enterprise mode. Is there a way to fix this problem?

Thank you 

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 9:30 PM

Answers

• 3 dots

I see that symptom when I hover over the chevron which would lead to the Emulation tab.  Is that what you mean?  But when I click on the chevron I see the Emulation menu item and can then click on that.  

Then you would be able to understand your symptom better by reducing the width of the Developer Tools window so that the Chevron would represent more than just the Emulation tab.  E.g. then hovering over it still shows the 3 dots but clicking on it shows more than just the Emulation tab label.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 5:22 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

yes...it applies to any web page when its domumentMode (Enterprise Mode Emulation Mode) is changed by the Dev Tools Emulation tab.

When the Emulation mode (documentMode) is changed on the Dev Tools' Emulation dropdown the current web page is re-parsed with the DOM features of the chosen Emulation mode...

First use the Console tab and type in the following:

document.documentMode

document.compatMode

observe the results in the console.

select the Emulation tab and change the Emulation mode and allow the page to be reparsed. (it isn't refreshed or reloaded)

Return to the Console tab and repeat the console commands above and observe the changes.

This is likely to occur on a web page that has a valid document type declaration, but has been erroneously placed in a lower Emulation mode with Enterprise Mode.

A reasonable understanding of w3 standards is required to decide which intranet pages should be placed in the Enterprise Mode site lists and which Emulation mode is appropriate, given the features that the page/site has been coded to support.

Here is the non-public ticket (you may not be able to view the full details) from the connect feedback portal.
    https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/Feedback/Details/1244420

When the Developer tool is displayed (f12) on a site that is in Enterprise Mode (and the document is using the system DTD (!doctype html), the Developer tools resets the parser and incorrectly renders the page in Quirks mode (documentMode==5 and compatMode==backCompat)
    Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, July 16, 2015 12:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It sounds like you are trying to use Enterprise Mode on a public accessible website that already has a valid html5 doctype(<!doctype html>). This is a known issue and has been reported to the IETeam feedback portal http://connect.microsoft.com/ie

Enterprise Mode is for Enterprise Intranet sites. The MSCVL (Microsoft compatibility view list) is for public internet sites. To avoid confusion please include the full address of any websites you are having problems with your questions.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 11:16 PM
  • Hi,

This is happening on all internal websites. I know that enterprise mode might not show up for external websites such as google.ce as these websites are kept up to date but that is not the problem. The problem is that enterprise mode and the emulation tab are still not working when I go to one of my companies internal websites that I know are not up to IE11 standards. So from your reply it should be showing but it is not. So from this it sounds like there is something else that is not working. 

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 4:45 PM
  • 3 dots

I see that symptom when I hover over the chevron which would lead to the Emulation tab.  Is that what you mean?  But when I click on the chevron I see the Emulation menu item and can then click on that.  

Then you would be able to understand your symptom better by reducing the width of the Developer Tools window so that the Chevron would represent more than just the Emulation tab.  E.g. then hovering over it still shows the 3 dots but clicking on it shows more than just the Emulation tab label.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 5:22 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

yes...it applies to any web page when its domumentMode (Enterprise Mode Emulation Mode) is changed by the Dev Tools Emulation tab.

When the Emulation mode (documentMode) is changed on the Dev Tools' Emulation dropdown the current web page is re-parsed with the DOM features of the chosen Emulation mode...

First use the Console tab and type in the following:

document.documentMode

document.compatMode

observe the results in the console.

select the Emulation tab and change the Emulation mode and allow the page to be reparsed. (it isn't refreshed or reloaded)

Return to the Console tab and repeat the console commands above and observe the changes.

This is likely to occur on a web page that has a valid document type declaration, but has been erroneously placed in a lower Emulation mode with Enterprise Mode.

A reasonable understanding of w3 standards is required to decide which intranet pages should be placed in the Enterprise Mode site lists and which Emulation mode is appropriate, given the features that the page/site has been coded to support.

Here is the non-public ticket (you may not be able to view the full details) from the connect feedback portal.
    https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/Feedback/Details/1244420

When the Developer tool is displayed (f12) on a site that is in Enterprise Mode (and the document is using the system DTD (!doctype html), the Developer tools resets the parser and incorrectly renders the page in Quirks mode (documentMode==5 and compatMode==backCompat)
    Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, July 16, 2015 12:16 AM