System Restore - Service cannot be started in Safe Mode - NOT IN Safe Mode RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, strange problem here...

3-4 month old Toshiba laptop, shipped with Vista and subsequently applied upgrade to Windows 7, 32 bit. No other obvious problems but to create a restore point. SR opens, saying that no restore points have been created. When you try to create one, the message "This Service cannot be Started in Safe Mode, error 0x8007043C." We are NOT in safe mode at the time. Video and all else seems ok, logs show no other errors. No problem with Networking. We have the system connected to a Windows Home Server, and backups proceed as expected.

Not sure where to start troubleshooting here, as I've never seen a situation where Windows thinks it's in Safe Mode when it isn't.

Any ideas?

JohnBrown
    Halifax, NS.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:13 PM

All replies

• Forgot to mention - I checked that the Windows Backup Service and the VSS Service could start without error. Is there another Service I should check?
    jb
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:16 PM
  • I would check and make sure you do not have some sort of malware on your system - you could check it with "hijack this" or "malware bytes".  Another option, if you still have your Windows disc, is to boot to your Windows disc and do a system repair - something as simple as that may be able to check what's causing your PC to think it's in Safe Mode.

In command prompt, if you run sfc /scannow, do you get an error?

If you find my post helpful, please hit the "Vote as helpful" button on the top left of my post so that others may see that it is helpful as well. Thank you, Shawn
    Monday, January 4, 2010 7:36 PM
  • No trace of malware, or any indication of any other problem. In no other way does the system think it's in safe mode, all else seems fully functional. For such a specific symptom, I was hoping for a more specific solution, perhaps a way to repair or re-install System Restore. Or some troubleshooting for a service that may have a problem.

Still hoping

JohnBrown
    Halifax, NS

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:05 AM
  • Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and see if you have this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Option.

Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    • Proposed as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, January 6, 2010 6:11 AM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:50 AM
    Answerer
  • Please also test it in Clean Boot mode. If any security program is installed, please temporarily disable it.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 6:12 AM
  • Sorry I haven't responded sooner, this particular system is quite a ways away and I haven't yet got back out to take another look. I will try clean booting, and also check that registry entry. Anything else I might look for. Is there a way to tell if Windows 7 thinks it is in SafeMode, or just the SR function that thinks so? As I said, there's no other indication that I can see of it being in Safe Mode other than SR. Display is certainly working normally on both internal and external monitors.

Thanks in advance, will post again after I go back there.

JohnBrown
    Halifax, NS

Sunday, January 10, 2010 4:57 PM
  • Hi, Please take your time performing the suggestions. In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. Please check it on your computer. We are waiting for your update.
    Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Monday, January 11, 2010 3:24 AM
  • I also have 4 or 5 months old Toshiba laptop, and I have the same problem.   My laptop has some malware but I already removed them.  I know for sure that the laptop does not start in Safe Mode. Please advise what I need to do.

thank you in advance.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Exact same problem here. Toshiba laptop, upgraded from Vista to 7 (64-bit in my case though), now System Restore refuses to work. I noticed it because my purchased Windows Anytime Upgrade key wouldn't install, which irritates me to no end...

The computer is definitely not in safe mode. I checked the list services, there's no System Restore service in there. Any hints are greatly appreciated. Could this be an issue with Toshiba computers specifically, either due to some driver incompatibility or flawed Vista->7 upgrade discs?

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:39 PM
  • I seem to have the same problem and when I did a safe mode scan it came up with the following error after only verifying it to 76% complete:

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. 

I have recently done several check disks etc.  I can't get a system restore point either.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 10:25 AM