Japanese Vista and English MUI RRS feed

• Question

• If I buy a new computer with the Japanese version of Windows Vista can I install the English Multi User Interface (MUI)?

If so, must it definitely be Ultimate or Enterprise edition?

Monday, January 29, 2007 2:56 PM

Answers

• I'll answer my own question...
    Yes, you can.
    I picked up an OEM version of Japanese Vista Ultimate this morning when the shop opened 27100 yen local which included a 512Mb USB 2.0 flash drive.
    I already had a copy of several MUI language packs (I assume these are legitimate downloads since they're to be found everywhere).
    Navigating to the appropriate sub menu in the 'Control Panel' took a little time, but it let me install the English MUI, log off, and now everything's in English.
    This is excellent news for the English-speaking computer user in Japan.  For years getting English language software hear was close to impossible, or else extortionately expensive.  A big improvement.
    I guess I have to find out if it'll work with other editions of Vista - something tells me probably not.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 6:23 AM

All replies

• I'll answer my own question...
    Yes, you can.
    I picked up an OEM version of Japanese Vista Ultimate this morning when the shop opened 27100 yen local which included a 512Mb USB 2.0 flash drive.
    I already had a copy of several MUI language packs (I assume these are legitimate downloads since they're to be found everywhere).
    Navigating to the appropriate sub menu in the 'Control Panel' took a little time, but it let me install the English MUI, log off, and now everything's in English.
    This is excellent news for the English-speaking computer user in Japan.  For years getting English language software hear was close to impossible, or else extortionately expensive.  A big improvement.
    I guess I have to find out if it'll work with other editions of Vista - something tells me probably not.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 6:23 AM
  • Very good news indeed. Thanks for being our gaijin guinea pig. Off to grab my copy of Vista Ultimate after work.

<Edit>

Sure would like to know where you got your English MUI. I've already done my shopping but I'm still stuck in Japanese mode here.

Perhaps you could shoot me a mail?

--
    Bryan
    puntspeedchunk@gmail.com
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 5:13 AM
  • Jon,

I've just got a laptop with a Japanese Windows home premium, would you give me more information how to install English Multi User Interface? or English Language Interfase Pack (LIP), and from where I can download those files?

many many arigatou in advance

Hatem

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 7:10 PM
  • Since I bought the Ultimate version I tested things and installed and re-installed the operating system several times: Premium, Business, Basic etc. and the only version that supported the MUI feature was Ultimate.

As for the LIPs according to this page http://www.microsoft.com/industry/government/locallanguage/languages.mspx they're not available yet.  For XP they were never available in Japanese

If you can return your new laptop and get your money back you could then buy a DELL machine in Japan.  They all now come with the option to upgrade to Vista Ultimate for about 14000 yen extra -  a small price to pay to make your computer useable!   If you contact me personally I can tell you about the best DELL prices in Japan - which are not always on their homepage!  llanelli14@yahoo.com

--

jon

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 10:35 PM
  • Jon san,
    Thank you for your reply. Actually I bought my laptop this week, FUJITSU FMV BIBLO NF70U. Fujitsu too offers the option to upgrade to Vista Ultimate for about 14000 yen. Just wondering whether I can download the MUI packs from Microsoft's website or somewhere else  ?
    Best regards,

Hatem
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 10:00 AM
  • The MUI packs are on Microsoft Update website. Optional install.

if you still can't find it.. it's buried in the KBxxx

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 9:55 PM
  •  Jon in Japan wrote:

... install the English MUI, log off, and now everything's in English.

I'm suspicious about that "everything".

Can anyone answer to the following quote from here:
    Guide to Windows Vista Multilingual User Interface

"All Windows distributions are released with a preinstalled default language. This default language cannot be removed. The default language is used to generate computer security identifiers (SIDs) and language-specific directories."

I'm worried about that "language-specific directories" part. Which directories? The user-related ones like Desktop etc? I don't want those in Japanese.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Nick.
    Friday, April 6, 2007 8:30 AM
  • Hi Nick... To the best of my knowledge, it does not concern any folders visible to the user. They are most probably some of the directories that are used to maintian the GPO templates. You will never see them...

Regards
    Nishanth.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 11:17 AM
  •  Nishanth Shetty wrote:
    To the best of my knowledge, it does not concern any folders visible to the user.

Thanks Nishanth, but as a developer it might concern me. It's annoying to have to pay an extra $200 for the (non-OEM) English version simply because of incomplete documentation.

The install remains Japanese at heart to some extent, so I then wonder about "non-usery" things like the Vista versions of the recovery console or bootup options, dskchk ...

Cheers,
    Nick.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 3:01 PM
  • Zilver-

I am going nuts trying to find those MUI packs for Vista on MS website. Can you give us the link please? Thanks.

Friday, April 20, 2007 3:49 PM
  • It's annoying to have to pay an extra $200 for the (non-OEM) English version simply because of incomplete documentation.

My thoughts exactly!! Pickin up a english PC in japan is turning out to be more expensive than buying a MAC Smile

As for your concern, the link you have provided seems to clearly mention that windows vista consists of a completely language neutral binary and a language pack on top. So you dont have to worry about the install remaining japanese at core. However I did read on some forums that they see the original language of the OS when starting up. Probably has to do with the boot loader. Not sure how that works tho...

<Edit>
    Just looked up microsoft.com and found this in the BCD(bootloader for vista) documentation       

"If an error occurs on previous boot, user presented with localized troubleshooting UI"

So that should mean the advanced startup menus should show up in english.... But I would suggest you get hold of someone with a copy of windows vista ultimate and try it out yourself. May be the thread starter can help??
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 3:03 PM
  • Hi...
    I have DELL XPS M1330 with vista home premium japanese version.
    I want to make it English.
    So I am planning to upgrade to ultimate and then download MUI.
    Can u tell me from where can I buy upgrade in cheaper prices..??

Thanks,

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 1:50 PM