none
Fix for Windows Explorer crash on windows 8 (which crashes pretty much everything). RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All

This is less a question and more for public information. I have been using my laptop with windows 8 for a while now, and noticed that Windows Explorer would spontaneously crash from time to time - this would mean pretyt much the whole screen blueing out, and the taskbar at the bottom dissapearing as well, for quite long periods of time. WHen I tried to right click on an application while using the Search Charm, it too would cause the computer to hang. Now, this came after I had tried a fix for max disk usage, which involved changing the amount of "VRAM" the drives took. I just wanted to let you all know that this is a VERY BAD DECISION unless you know what you are doing. Changing the VRAM from being controlled by the laptop to being set with a min of my computer's RAM and max being double my computer's RAM lead to the Explorer crashing. Therefore, if you suffer this problem, of the explorer spontaneously crashing, please make sure that you have not entered any custom values into the VRAM, and have left it to the laptop's control. I do not have background knowledge into why this happens, but it was a fix that worked for me.

Thanks

The Spider

Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:55 AM