Windows Media Player not responding, folders not updating... Is it a virus? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've got this problem which might be a virus but I can't find any info about it on the internet so I am asking here.

It could have started after I installed something or it could be a virus I don't know. The only programs I've installed recently are PowerISO and a Polish messaging program called Gadu-Gadu. I download torrents so it could have come from there.

Now here is what's happening. Windows Media Player although it plays the videos with sound and everything it doesn't respond to anything I do. I can't move or close the window, all the buttons don't work and when I mouse over it shows the "loading" cursor. Right clicking then close window on the task bar doesn't work either, the only way to shut it down is to do it through task manager.

Another thing I've noticed is that folders don't update when I made changes to them. I can create or delete files but unless I refresh the directory I can't see the changes. If I create new files on pulpit they don't show unless I go to them through the explorer.

Ps. I've just noticed that after a video finishes the media player goes back to normal, and the directories started updating ( I could create and delete folders on the desktop without problems). But after I restarted the windows media player it went bad again and when I tried creating folders anywhere else than on the desktop it stopped updating again. <- I've tried to make this happen again but with no result.

I've tried system restore and everything worked for a while before going bad again. Any help with this would be appreciated I am stuck here, thank you.

Edit: I've also tried reinstalling the Windows Media Player but nothing has changed.
    Sunday, June 24, 2012 10:40 PM

Answers

• If you suspect a virus, what ARE you running for antivirus?  I would install Microsoft Security Essentials, and also run the built in Malware Removal Tool (Start > Run > MRT > OK) - the full scan can take hours depending on how much data you have.

However, some if it does sound like you may be playing a very high bitrate / resolution / quality type of video (H.264) which can be quite processor intensive.  For example, if you're extracting and watching BluRay images from your hard drive, it may just be that your CPU can't keep up with the decoding AND multi-tasking you're trying to do.

NuAngel

Don't forget, if you find the help you need, click the "Propose as Answer" link at the bottom of the post containing the solution!
    NuAngel.net

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Wednesday, July 4, 2012 8:13 AM
    Monday, June 25, 2012 1:16 AM
  • Hi,

Firstly, please let us know the following:

1. Whether the issue occurs when Windows Media Player is opened or just after playing videos?

2. Whether the issue occurs with all types of videos?

Meanwhile, based on my research, please try the following:

1. Scan your system for Virus.

2. Perform a system restore and see how it works.

3. Play other types of videos and check if the issue will occur.

4. Double check the Plug-ins and temporary disable all Plug-ins and see how it works.

5. Boot into Clean Boot Mode and test the issue again.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Wednesday, July 4, 2012 8:12 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:29 AM

All replies

• If you suspect a virus, what ARE you running for antivirus?  I would install Microsoft Security Essentials, and also run the built in Malware Removal Tool (Start > Run > MRT > OK) - the full scan can take hours depending on how much data you have.

However, some if it does sound like you may be playing a very high bitrate / resolution / quality type of video (H.264) which can be quite processor intensive.  For example, if you're extracting and watching BluRay images from your hard drive, it may just be that your CPU can't keep up with the decoding AND multi-tasking you're trying to do.

NuAngel

Don't forget, if you find the help you need, click the "Propose as Answer" link at the bottom of the post containing the solution!
    NuAngel.net

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Wednesday, July 4, 2012 8:13 AM
    Monday, June 25, 2012 1:16 AM
  • Hi,

Firstly, please let us know the following:

1. Whether the issue occurs when Windows Media Player is opened or just after playing videos?

2. Whether the issue occurs with all types of videos?

Meanwhile, based on my research, please try the following:

1. Scan your system for Virus.

2. Perform a system restore and see how it works.

3. Play other types of videos and check if the issue will occur.

4. Double check the Plug-ins and temporary disable all Plug-ins and see how it works.

5. Boot into Clean Boot Mode and test the issue again.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Wednesday, July 4, 2012 8:12 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:29 AM