BUG: Desktop icons / Start menu stop functioningsometimes after exiting an application in Windows 7 RC RRS feed

• Question

• Usually, I can double click on a shortcut on my desktop to launch an application.  Also, if I right click on a shortcut, the first option from the menu is OPEN.  I have had on numerous occasions where after exiting an application (happens with different apps such as World of Warcraft), the desktop shortcuts no longer function.  I can right click on the "shortcuts" but the menu that appears only gives a few options  (I can copy, paste, etc.  - there is no open, run, etc. command).  In addition, if I try to click on any of the apps in my quick launch bar area, I get an error message stating that the program is not recognized and asks if I want to remove it from the launch area.  Lastly, the Start button will sometimes stop working as well.  I can still click on any app that I had launched previous to having the issue but I can not launch any new apps or shut down the computer without performing a hard reset.  Any ideas?  Thanks!
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:45 AM

Answers

• Rmsweb,

This is a very strange-sounding issue. It almost sounds to me as though you've got some kind of limit in place on the number of applications you can run concurrently, as in the old "Starter Editions" of Windows, but the Start menu issues go beyond that.

I'd try running a System File Checker scan by entering "sfc /scannow" into a Command Prompt. This will identify and repair and corrupted or missing operating system files. If that doesn't work, you could try loading your Windows 7 install DVD while the computer is running to perform an "in-place upgrade," as if you were upgrading from Windows Vista - this, too, will re-install needed OS components, and sometimes works where SFC fails.
    -Alex
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:16 PM

All replies

• Rmsweb,

This is a very strange-sounding issue. It almost sounds to me as though you've got some kind of limit in place on the number of applications you can run concurrently, as in the old "Starter Editions" of Windows, but the Start menu issues go beyond that.

I'd try running a System File Checker scan by entering "sfc /scannow" into a Command Prompt. This will identify and repair and corrupted or missing operating system files. If that doesn't work, you could try loading your Windows 7 install DVD while the computer is running to perform an "in-place upgrade," as if you were upgrading from Windows Vista - this, too, will re-install needed OS components, and sometimes works where SFC fails.
    -Alex
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:16 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions.  I ran the scan as instructed and it came back stating that there were no integrity issues. 

I have a question regarding the next step; upgrading Windows 7 using the disk.  Right now, I have a dual-boot configuration (XP & Windows 7).  Windows 7 is installed on a separate hard drive.  If I run the upgrade while inside of Windows 7, will the upgrade only affect Windows 7?  I want to make sure that my Windows XP version is not overwritten.

Thanks again!
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 5:58 PM