none
dpm 2007 - is restoring a db to synchronization points only possible from disk? RRS feed

• Question

• hi all,

when restoring a sql server 2008 database to a date from which the data is only available on tape i do not have the ability to select the times at which synchronizations occurred (every 15 minutes). rather, i can only select the points in time at which the express full backups occurred (8pm daily).

1. is this normal behaviour?

2. if so, does this mean that i will need to extend my short-term retention range to as many days as i wish to have the ability to restore the log files so as to restore to any point in time?

if needed here are some details of the protection group in question:

short term is using disk

short term goals: retention 7 days, synch. freq. 15 minutes, express full 8pm daily

long term is using tape

long term goals: retention range 1, backup schedule 9pm daily & 9pm last sunday of every month

thank you

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 12:05 AM

Answers

• Hi Dude04,

1. Yes, Long Term to tape only uses Express Full. There is no incremental back up in the tape.

2. Yes, if you do need the hability to restore anything within 15 minutes which is past 7 days you will need to increate your short term retention goals.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 4:33 AM