none
Exchange 2013 Send Connector Logging broken

    Question

  • Hi, I have a client that is migrating from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2013 and after the Exchange 2013 installation, I am not able to see any details of the send connectors in the right side details pane.  Protocol logging is also not working. Viewing the connector properties in PowerShell shows the ProtocolLoggingLevel to be set at Verbose, however no logs are generated.  Mail appears to flow through the connector, however without the logs, I can't tell for sure.

    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 3:53 PM

Answers

  • Hi Sachin,

    Sorry for not replying, I wasn't getting the emails that anyone had replied to my question.  I thought it was just out here unanswered so I logged on today to close it.  The issue is resolved anyway.  We opened a case with Microsoft support and after much troubleshooting and logging, they were still not able to find the issue and I eventually resolved it on my own.

    The logs not appearing was due to messages being sent to the other DAG node before they were processed by the transport service on the problem server.  I did not build the servers so I did a thorough review of them and found that there were inconsistencies in the configuration of the virtual directory URLs and the OWA http to https redirect.  Also, they did not have a split DNS that directed the host names to the local server addresses and the URL was being resolved to the public IP.

    After adding internal DNS for the domain with the internal IP addresses, fixing the virtual directory URLs, and fixing the OWA http to https redirect, mail started flowing from the problem server and the logs were created as expected.

    Friday, June 3, 2016 2:25 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    OK During Installation did you crate new Send connector on exchange or you talking about the migrated exchange 2007 send connectors

    Verify The below command 

    <Get-TransportService | Get-FrontEndTransportService> <ServerIdentity> | Format-List IntraOrgConnectorProtocolLoggingLevel

    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124531(v=exchg.150).aspx


    sachin hodge

    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 8:33 PM
  • If you created a new connector that isn't configured for logging, it's possible that that new connector is being used in preference and no logging is being generated.

    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

    Thursday, May 26, 2016 12:21 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi,

    You said: "I am not able to see any details of the send connectors in the right side details pane." Try to switch to IE or other browser.

    And by default, the path of Protocol log is C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\Hub\ProtocolLog\SmtpSend on mailbox server, make sure you find the correct path. If you customized the path, see the SendProtocolLogPath parameter of the Set-TransportService cmdlet.

    "Mail appears to flow through the connector"

    Try to do message tracking to make sure all messages go though this send connector.

    If this send connector is corrupted, create a new one.

    Best Regards.


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

    Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

    Thursday, May 26, 2016 6:36 AM
    Moderator
  • Better, use the EMS:

    Get-SendConnector | FL


    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

    Thursday, May 26, 2016 6:41 AM
    Moderator
  • Can we have update on this thread..

    sachin hodge

    Thursday, May 26, 2016 2:26 PM
  • Hi Sachin,

    Sorry for not replying, I wasn't getting the emails that anyone had replied to my question.  I thought it was just out here unanswered so I logged on today to close it.  The issue is resolved anyway.  We opened a case with Microsoft support and after much troubleshooting and logging, they were still not able to find the issue and I eventually resolved it on my own.

    The logs not appearing was due to messages being sent to the other DAG node before they were processed by the transport service on the problem server.  I did not build the servers so I did a thorough review of them and found that there were inconsistencies in the configuration of the virtual directory URLs and the OWA http to https redirect.  Also, they did not have a split DNS that directed the host names to the local server addresses and the URL was being resolved to the public IP.

    After adding internal DNS for the domain with the internal IP addresses, fixing the virtual directory URLs, and fixing the OWA http to https redirect, mail started flowing from the problem server and the logs were created as expected.

    Friday, June 3, 2016 2:25 PM