Storage Spaces "Reduced resiliency; check the Physical drives section" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!

I'm having the following issue with my Storage Spaces setup.

Issue, but OK?!

As you can see, Storage Spaces says "Reduced resiliency; check the Physical drives section" but all disks are "OK".

I do have some performance issues and a noisy disk, however, I'm not sure which disk and why doesn't Windows tell me whick one.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thank you in advance!

Alexander S.

Monday, May 18, 2015 4:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Generally, when a member drive is disconnected or has failed, it might occur this error.

I would like to suggest you troubleshoot as below:

1. Backup the whole Storage Space to a new hard drive in order to avoid data lost.

2. Attach the disks to another computer to identify which disk that had a problem.

3. Format the disk that did not show up in Windows Explorer and was not readable.

4. The reformatted disk was then added to the original Storage Space and the rebuild process started automatically.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, May 27, 2015 9:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Friday, May 29, 2015 1:40 AM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2015 2:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Generally, when a member drive is disconnected or has failed, it might occur this error.

1. Backup the whole Storage Space to a new hard drive in order to avoid data lost.

2. Attach the disks to another computer to identify which disk that had a problem.

3. Format the disk that did not show up in Windows Explorer and was not readable.

4. The reformatted disk was then added to the original Storage Space and the rebuild process started automatically.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, May 27, 2015 9:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Friday, May 29, 2015 1:40 AM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2015 2:13 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem but your solution is not an option for me. The storage space is far too big to backup. I need a way to identify the bad drive and if necessary replace it. The whole point of setting it up like this was so it would survive a single drive failure but it's not much use if it doesn't tell you which drive has failed. Because of the reduced resiliency I cannot now remove a drive to fix or replace it. That is the whole point of using the parity option. Help!!!

Sunday, July 26, 2015 7:19 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Same problem here. It gave me the option to "Bring Online" and then... "Not Responding".

How did you deal with this?

This is probably due to a firmware bug, a Windows bug or an incompatibility between Windows and the firmware (UEFI).

Any help from Microsoft?

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 1:36 AM
  • In my case it was a faulty disk. I've used CrystalDiskInfo (https://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html) to find out which one. Hope it helps you.

Alexander S.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 1:56 AM