none
Project Server 2013 Post migration issues - can't open Project center, Ribbon is disabled, No Quick Launch at home page.. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have done the migration from Project server 2007 to 2010 and finally to 2013. PWA was provisioned successfully.

I have run the helth check up and got many issues as shown in below screen shot.

when i went to PWA home page, I don't see any quick launch and ribbon just seems disabled. I am not able to open project center page, In quick launch, save option in ribbon is disabled. Please view the below Screen shots. Previous PWA was not customized but had some custom views and fields that i can see in migrated PWA (settings).

Help.

Thank you.

sandeep

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 12:06 PM

Answers

• I followed the process and all the steps to migrate 2007 PS to 2013.

The resolution was to remove missing webparts from _catalogs/wp from PS 2007 .

MissingAssembly - I solved this issue by extracting 2007 Microsoft.Project Server.PWA.dll (12.0.0.0) from GAC and installing the same on project server 2010 GAC.

I restarted migration and though this time also content database was attached with errors. But after migration to 2013 i am having no issues. Everything seems to be working fine.

will let you know if i face any issues.

Thank you all.

sandeep

Thursday, November 6, 2014 2:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Sandeep,

Have you followed all the steps detailed here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662104(v=office.15).aspx ?

One of the things I can see from the screenshots is that the Project menu items are missing so maybe a number of steps have not been performed (e.g. enable pwasite feature)?

Paul

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 12:55 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Yes, i followed each and every steps detailed in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662104(v=office.15).aspx .

However i can go to project center and see projects because i changed the view from ribbon that was causing the problem. But still having so many issues like

No Project detail pages therefore can't open projects,

Unable to Create/edit  List,

Unable to change/Save Quick launch,

No Project Site Option in ribbon ,

No Side Dropdown.

---- Should i reset the pages from helth check page??? what will i loose?

sandeep

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 1:25 PM
  • Hi Sandeep,

Before making any changes, have you tested the environment using an empty PWA to make sure you do not have any issues with the 2013 environment?

You can also try to reset the pages to their default and see if that would help

Have you also check the SharePoint logs? any detailed errors there?

Paul

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 1:55 PM
  • Hi Sandeep,

Just to add what Paul suggested and it may not be clear.  Provision another PWA site and call it PWAOOB.  OOB stands for Out-of-box.  I often do this with new installations for both a reference and making sure project server is setup correctly.  If this isn't working, you can be sure a migration is not going to work.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:59 PM
  • Hi Paul, Michael,

Yes, I am able to Provision New PWA without any issues and also tried to reset the pages to their default but that din't help either.

Everything is working fine on PS 2010 but not migrating properly to 2013.

I will try it all over again.

Thanks.

sandeep

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 8:49 PM
  • Have you followed all the steps as listed below:

# Must run this section if executing script outside of Sharepoint 2013 Management Shell
    Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.Sharepoint.Powershell

# Update these upgrade variables to match your environment
    $dbservername = "SQL34332"
    $contentdbname = "2010_WSS_Content"
    $archivedbname = "2010_Archive"
    $draftdbname = "2010_Draft"
    $publisheddbname = "2010_Published"
    $reportingdbname = "2010_Reporting"
    $p15dbname = "UpgradePWALab"
    $webapp = "http://SPPS:81/"
    $projectsitecollection = "http://SPPS:81/PWA"
    $adminaccount = "contoso\farmadmin"

#----- SharePoint upgrade process starts -----#

# Recommended : Test-SPContentDatabase
    Test-SPContentDatabase `
    -Name $contentdbname `
    -WebApplication $webapp `
    -ServerInstance $dbservername

# Review the results and fix any upgrade blocking issues.

# Mount-SPContentDatabase (Mount does an upgrade too)
    Mount-SPContentDatabase `
    -Name $contentdbname `
    -Databaseserver $dbservername `
    -NoB2BSiteUpgrade

# Taking ownership of the site collection we want to upgrade
    Set-SPSite `
    -Identity $projectsitecollection `
    -SecondaryOwnerAlias $adminaccount

# If migrating from Windows classic authentication to claims
    # Migrate the users to Claims (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee554321.aspx)
    (Get-SPWebApplication $webapp).MigrateUsers($true)

# Recommended : Test-SPSite
    Test-SPSite $projectsitecollection

# Review the results and fix any upgrade blocking issues.

# Upgrade SPSite
    Upgrade-spsite `
    -Identity $projectsitecollection `
    -VersionUpgrade

#----- SharePoint upgrade process ends -----#

#----- Project upgrade process starts -----#

# Convert databases to 15
    Convertto-SPProjectDatabase `
    -Dbserver $dbservername `
    -ArchiveDbname $archivedbname `
    -DraftDbname $draftdbname `
    -PublishedDbname $publisheddbname `
    -ReportingDbname $reportingdbname `
    -ProjectServiceDbname $p15dbname 

#-Lcid 1033  Commented this out, no longer required in the RTM build 
    # 1033 is for English - United States. Use other codes for other languages (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964664.aspx)

# Mount Project database
    Mount-SPProjectDatabase `
    -Name $p15dbname `
    -Databaseserver $dbservername

# Upgrade Project database
    Upgrade-SPProjectDatabase `
    -Name $p15dbname `
    -Databaseserver $dbservername 

# Mount Project web instance
    Mount-SPProjectWebInstance `
    -DatabaseName $p15dbname `
    -SiteCollection $projectsitecollection `
    -DatabaseServer $dbservername

# Upgrade Project web instance
    Upgrade-SPProjectWebInstance `
    -Identity $projectSitecollection

# Enable PWA features
    Enable-SPFeature `
    -Identity pwasite `
    -Url $projectSitecollection

#----- Project upgrade process ends -----#

I suspect the upgrade might have failed with errors. In case all the steps have been executed then can you check the upgrade logs and let us know in case you have come across any errors.

Cheers! Happy troubleshooting !!! Dinesh S. Rai - MSFT Enterprise Project Management Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 2:19 AM
  • Hello Sandepep

Refer to this articale about using PowerShell for migrating to Project Server 2013.  I have done many migrations and have found each is a little different, because there are many places where it can fail.  Also, SP and CU can have an impact on process.  When you started the process, did you have Project Server 2007 with the latest SP.  I would also bring Project Server 2010 update to SP2 before migrating to 2013.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/13938.how-to-use-powershell-to-migrate-project-server-2010-to-2013.aspx

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 2:23 AM
  • Hi Dinesh, Michael, 

Thanks for reply and sorry for my late reply.

I think, i had ignored some errors while Testing and attaching the content database . content database was attached with some errors and when i was testing content database of 2007 and 2010, i got the list of errors as shown below.

I did a lot of research and read many blogs in order to resolve these issue but i am not able to get rid of these issues. 

Category        : MissingFeature

Error           : True

UpgradeBlocking : False

Message         : Database [wss_Content] has reference(s) to a missing feature: Id = [367b94a9-4a15-42ba-b4a2-32420363e018].

Remedy          : The feature with Id 367b94a9-4a15-42ba-b4a2-32420363e018 is referenced in the database [wss_Content], but is not installed on the current farm. The missing feature may cause upgrade to fail. Please install any solution which contains the feature and restart upgrade if necessary.

Category        : SiteOrphan

Message         : Database [wss_Content] contains a site (Id = [de9f1b06-a3ab-43d2-90c0-ad26af634ae8], Url = [/]) whose id is already associated with a different database (Id = [e28b4f69-aa1e-4935-a018-6044416d33e5],  name = [WSS_Content_PWA]) in the site map. Consider deleting one of these sites which have conflicting ids.

Remedy          : The orphaned sites could cause upgrade failures. Try detach and reattach the database which containsthe orphaned sites. Restart upgrade if necessary.

Category        : SiteOrphan

Message         : Database [wss_Content] contains a site (Id = [147a2748-21b5-4fe2-bd6b-a371c17b82b4], Url = [/Production]) whose id is already associated with a different database (Id = [e28b4f69-aa1e-4935-a018-6044416d33e5], name = [WSS_Content_PWA]) in the site map. Consider deleting one of these sites which have conflicting ids.

Remedy          : The orphaned sites could cause upgrade failures. Try detach and reattach the database which contains  the orphaned sites. Restart upgrade if necessary.

Category        : MissingWebPart

Message         : WebPart class [7e287d59-ae87-2432-e52a-6420e81ddc91] is referenced [2] times in the database [wss_Content], but is not installed on the current farm. Please install any feature/solution which contains this web part.

Remedy          : One or more web parts are referenced in the database [wss_Content], but are not installed on the current farm. Please install any feature or solution which contains these web parts.

Category        : MissingWebPart

Message         : WebPart class [94b5bae7-436c-dcc2-5869-d491181c283b] is referenced [1] times in the database [wss_Content], but is not installed on the current farm. Please install any feature/solution which contains this web part.

Remedy          : One or more web parts are referenced in the database [wss_Content], but are not installed on the current farm. Please install any feature or solution which contains these web parts.

Category        : MissingAssembly

Message         : Assembly [Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.PWA,Version=12.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=71e9bce

111e9429c] is referenced in the database [wss_Content], but is not installed on the current farm. Please install any feature/solution which contains this assembly.

Remedy          : One or more assemblies are referenced in the database [wss_Content], but are not installed on the  current farm. Please install any feature or solution which contains these assemblies.

sandeep

Thursday, October 30, 2014 8:27 AM
  • I followed the process and all the steps to migrate 2007 PS to 2013.

The resolution was to remove missing webparts from _catalogs/wp from PS 2007 .

MissingAssembly - I solved this issue by extracting 2007 Microsoft.Project Server.PWA.dll (12.0.0.0) from GAC and installing the same on project server 2010 GAC.

I restarted migration and though this time also content database was attached with errors. But after migration to 2013 i am having no issues. Everything seems to be working fine.

will let you know if i face any issues.

Thank you all.

sandeep

Thursday, November 6, 2014 2:25 PM