Will clients automagically connect to new WSUS server at old WSUS server's IP? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are currently running a 2012R2 hosted WSUS server but now we are in the process of preparing a brand new Server 2019 as our new WSUS server.  Most of our clients do get their WSUS settings from domain GPO, but we also have quite a lot having hardcoded WSUS server IP in registry (local GPO).

Once we shut down the old server and fire up the new one at the *same IP address as the old one* we hope (and want) that all client computers should automatically connect, receive future updates from and report to the new WSUS server without any kicks or curses….

What would be the correct way / steps to ensure this actually will happen…?

Thanks a lot for help on this.

best regards Tor 

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 9:46 AM

All replies

• You can try this provided solution, https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/74cd7415-03fd-4dfa-be37-1a0fb3709e3c/migrate-wsus-server-from-2003x86-to-2008x64-new-hardware-use-same-name-and-ip-address?forum=winserverwsus

1. Install new server as a replica of the old.
    2. Replicate.
    3. Configure new server as upstream server.
    4. Point clients to new server.
    5. Turn off old server after all clients have redirected to the new server.

"Vote or mark as answer if you think useful" "Marquer comme réponse les réponses qui ont résolu votre problème"

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 1:06 PM
  • Hi,

According to your plan, the client will take some time to complete the report, but you need to regroup the client and update approvals and downloads, followed by some workload. Using the new server as a replica downstream of the old WSUS server will save a lot of work, which is what I recommend.

As a supplement, this article provides a complete step for WSUS migration: "How to move WSUS from one server to another." This is a more complete solution. If WSUS manages a large number of client groups, I recommend migrating this way.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 2:07 AM
  • Thanks a LOT for this information!!  It helped me a lot. 

But do I understand you correctly when assuming that the new server MUST have a different IP address than the current one?   I hoped to swap IP addresses between the old and new server once the replication was finished and the computer groups were created at the new server.  As mentioned in OP there are a bunch of non-domain computers which are difficult to reach in order to assign them a new WSUS server IP.

Thanks for a comment on the possibility to assign the old WSUS server's IP address to the new one and shut down the old one at a certain moment.

best regards Tor

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 1:33 PM
  • But do I understand you correctly when assuming that the new server MUST have a different IP address than the current one?   I hoped to swap IP addresses between the old and new server once the replication was finished and the computer groups were created at the new server.  As mentioned in OP there are a bunch of non-domain computers which are difficult to reach in order to assign them a new WSUS server IP.

My point of view, the new WSUS server will use a different IP address than the old WSUS server during the connection synchronization process for the downstream replica. After waiting for this process to complete, shut down the old WSUS server and configure the new WSUS server with the old WSUS server network configuration information. From this point on, all clients will access the same IP address to communicate with the new WSUS server.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 9, 2020 12:55 AM