Windows 2016 RTM new feature RRS feed

• Question

• I test Windows Servers 2016 Core and Datacenter with UDE, both are RTM. When I type "services.exe" in PS console I receive BSOD and server reboot. It happens each time! Could you please explain this strange behavior?
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 2:44 PM

Answers

• I'm guessing you were meaning to run the 'services.msc' MMC snapin?

It's an unfortunate bug in how the system handles the exit of services.exe,  which is a critical system process.  The fix is already in the pipeline for release in a subsequent servicing package. 

Regards,

Tom Jolly

---

Group Software Engineering Manager

Windows Server High Availability & Storage team

• Edited by Tom Jolly [MSFT] Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:44 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, October 10, 2016 5:37 AM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:42 PM

All replies

• I'm curious if it works the same every time but I tested it in Windows Server 2016 Standard (Core) and Windows Server 2016 Datacenter with UDE. When I typed "services.exe" in PS console I received... BSOD and server reboot. It works each time for my virtual machines. Could you please explain this behaviour?
    • Merged by Alvwan Thursday, September 29, 2016 6:31 AM dup thread
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:17 PM
  • It also happens with Windows 10. You might mention it over here on uservoice.

https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:28 PM
  • I checked on Windows 10 with and with out anniversary update and Windows 2012 R2 Standard and cannot reproduce this behaviour. It happens oly in Windows 2016.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 2:35 PM
  • Might mention over here.

https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=WinServerPreview

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 2:37 PM
  • I'm guessing you were meaning to run the 'services.msc' MMC snapin?

It's an unfortunate bug in how the system handles the exit of services.exe,  which is a critical system process.  The fix is already in the pipeline for release in a subsequent servicing package. 

Regards,

Tom Jolly

---

Group Software Engineering Manager

Windows Server High Availability & Storage team

• Edited by Tom Jolly [MSFT] Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:44 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, October 10, 2016 5:37 AM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:42 PM
  • For Reference;

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/8d6900a7-498b-497e-b41b-bc661c02864f/windows-2016-rtm-new-feature?forum=WinServerPreview

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:46 PM
  • Affects both Windows 10 AU and Windows Server 2016,  from an elevated powershell session.

As I mentioned in my reply yesterday/below,  the fix is in the servicing pipeline.

Regards, Tom Jolly --- Group Software Engineering Manager Windows Server High Availability & Storage team

Thursday, September 29, 2016 5:25 PM
  • First reported on this forum August 24, 2016 BSOD after harmless command executing
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 7:47 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 9:21 AM