Can't see emails of the last two months from the pst file but can see older emails RRS feed

• Question

• Can you make business exchange emails archived to a local PC pst file disappear, when that pst file is copied and opened on a different PC where there is no access to the business exchange server? Do I need to connect to the exchange server to see the emails archived to a local pc pst file?

• Edited by r2017 Sunday, July 23, 2017 8:01 PM
    Friday, July 21, 2017 1:35 PM

All replies

• Could someone please help me out? Thank you. This is related to a criminal investigation. I need some help recovering the lost emails. I can pay the money. 
    Sunday, July 23, 2017 8:33 PM
  • Hi r2017,

>>  Do I need to connect to the exchange server to see the emails archived to a local pc pst file?

No. Theoretically, .pst files do not require Exchange Sever to open data. 

>> Can you make business exchange emails archived to a local PC pst file disappear, when that pst file is copied and opened on a different PC where there is no access to the business exchange server?

Have you tried to import the .pst file again and see if the missing mails can show up properly?

If the mails can show up, the user might have used the Filter option when importing the .pst file on the new computer. See the relevant section in this link for more details. 

If the mails still cannot show up, I am assuming that these mails might have been excluded when exporting to.pst file:

Another possibility is that the .pst file might have been modified by some third party tools.

Then due to the limitation of forum support, we would like to encourage you call or chat with Microsoft support to get more instant assistance for urgent issues:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/office/tech-services/

Hope the above information can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 24, 2017 8:31 AM
  • Thanks a ton.
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 1:14 AM
  • I did not export it manually. I moved most of emails to the archive folder/pst file. drag and drop. And after that i turned on auto archive functionality to move every email that is 1 day older than today to the archive folder/pst file. 

Auto archive has been running every day. I could see my inbox showing only today's emails for the last 60 days every day. And all the old emails being moved to the archive folder every day. I saw it every day. 

But when i open it on my pc. I cant see emails for the last 60 days. 

• Edited by r2017 Tuesday, July 25, 2017 1:18 AM
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 1:18 AM
  • Hi r2017,

>> But when i open it on my pc. I cant see emails for the last 60 days. 

Did you open the .pst file on the same computer where you turned on the auto archive feature?

Please go to File > Options > Advanced > AutoArchive Settings, have a check to see if you have accidentally select the Permanently delete old items option rather than Move old items to:

If possible, it would be better that you can remove the private information and then share a screenshot of the AutoArchive Settings via OneDrive then our community members can help you better.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 1:42 AM
  • No. I did not set that option to permanently delete. If I had I wouldn't be reading yesterday's unread emails going to archive folder. I used to see it every day mails were moving to archive folder. 

Even in the worst case of me setting permanent delete option to true, it should have deleted all the messages not just last 60 days' messages. 

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 1:44 PM
  • Hi r2017,

Sorry for the delay.

Could you please provide more details about what you mean by "open it on my pc"? Did you open the file on the same computer or on another machine?

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 7:21 AM