none
Power Query refresh problem RRS feed

• Question

• I got the message below when trying to refresh the Power Query from SQL database. I did the same things many times before and it runs OK. However, now I cannot refresh to get more data any more. Please advise me what should I do. Thank you so much in advance

DataSource.Error: Microsoft SQL: Type datetime2 is not a defined system type.
    Type datetime2 is not a defined system type.
    Details:
        DataSourceKind=SQL
        DataSourcePath=192.168.254.2\sqlexpress;VCTSERVER
        Message=Type datetime2 is not a defined system type.
        Number=243

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 8:48 AM

Answers

• We recently made a change to try to execute DateTime.From on the server instead of locally. The implementation of this change is apparently broken under SQL Server 2005, and I've filed a bug to that effect. You should be able to work around it by inserting a step with "Table.Buffer" in an appropriate place.

DateTime.From can also be invoked indirectly by using one of the DateTime.IsInCurrent|Previous|Next functions, or by converting a column type to DateTime.

Friday, January 22, 2016 8:58 PM

All replies

• We recently made a change to try to execute DateTime.From on the server instead of locally. The implementation of this change is apparently broken under SQL Server 2005, and I've filed a bug to that effect. You should be able to work around it by inserting a step with "Table.Buffer" in an appropriate place.

DateTime.From can also be invoked indirectly by using one of the DateTime.IsInCurrent|Previous|Next functions, or by converting a column type to DateTime.

Friday, January 22, 2016 8:58 PM
  • This is old, but the problem persists as of August 4, 2017. This workaround, however, does get the task accomplished. I doubt MS is going to fix anything related to SQL 2005 at this point, but for those of us stuck with it, this is the right answer.
    Friday, August 4, 2017 3:09 PM