ProClarity Desktop v6.3 freezes timeline bar RRS feed

• Question

• In several of our installations, every couple of weeks all ProClarity Desktop installations will freeze when a user tries to scroll the time line bar to the left. For instance, initially, the user drills down from all time, to years, quarters, months. When the user tries to see prior months (or quarters), ProClarity will freeze when the user clicks scroll left on the timeline. 
    This problem happens to all time dimensions in all cubes. 
    When this problem occurs, we can do the equivalent job with the Setup panel. But since most business users only know the timeline bar, this problem may becoming a big hassle.
    We've found that resetting all SQL services on the server will NOT help. However, rebooting the server fixes the problem.
    Any clues?
    Monday, June 1, 2009 7:02 PM

All replies

• We have exactly the same problem...anybody got a fix?
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 3:40 PM
  • This is very interesting, thanks for reporting the problem Joni.  I was able to reproduce it on my test machine and will look into it.  All I can suggest for now is that your users maximize their Professional window so that no scrollbars appear, as it seems to work fine so long as the window is maximized.  I'll reply back to this post once I have further information.

Thanks again!

Amanda Ruffner

Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 4:02 PM
  • Hi Amanda,

It seems that this problem occurs regardless if ProClarity's window is maximized or not. Also, the timeline left-scroll usually works fine for several weeks, and then suddenly all ProClarity installations start freezing upon a timeline left-scroll. Keep in mind that most clients have several years worth of data – thus timeline scrolls is commonly used.

Thanks!
    Joni
    Monday, June 8, 2009 10:21 PM
  • Amanda,

We're still having this issue with some clients. Any clues?

For a client, we managed to get them happy by changing the timeline Label Length to 2 characters. This made all their current history at the month level (beg Jan-06) to fit the timeline bar on a single screen. However, as their history grows, they're going to run into the issue again.

I want to underscore that many business people love the timeline bar, and are reluctant to learn the equivalent function on the Setup Panel.

Thank you,
    Joni Girardi
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:39 PM