O365 - Outlook Rules issues Sent Items RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there

I've been searching 5 days longs and trying many operations up to know, without success : 

We are coming from thunderbird/imap to Outlook office 365 (not OWA).

Environment : 12 named users mailboxes, 2 shared mailboxes accessed by "named" users.

On shared mailbox, we need "only" two rules : 

- A copy of the sent items in sent items - nothing bad huh...?

- A rule that apply at every mail sent from shared mailbox to "move" the mail in a different subfolder for different user accessing the shared mailbox.

Sample : 
    John Doe and Cindy Bae are using "admin" mailbox.

When John Doe sends a message from admin, the copy of the sent message should go in Sent Items/_JOD

When Cindy Bae sends a message from admin, the copy of the sent message should go in Sent Items/_CIB

I've basically tried everything, but the sync process of shared mailboxes screws it all : 

- Shared MB mounted as a separated account, can't create rule on "from" field, since the from is always the same (admin in our case). I removed the "copy sent message" options (for all accounts in the outlook profile, which is ... ), created a rule that "corrects" this by copying a copy of the message in the "sent items", and this time, hooray i got the "from" field, on which i can base a rule. However, if you create your mail using a draft, save it, open it, send it, the rule of "copy message in the sent items" does not apply (bug ??).

- Shared MB mounted as "secondary" account in the account preferences, and here, there's no options at all, the account doesn't even appear in the Drop Down list of accounts in the Rules Window.

This plus the fact that my rules are copied over on every user opening the shared mb (sync), this messes up everything.

Is there "any simple and reliable" way to get a message copied into a specific subfolder, depending on who has sent it, in a shared mailbox ? 

Subsidiary question : can i stop Outlook Mailbox layout to be propagated to all other users sharing the same mailbox ? NOt all of our user have the same preferences... if i choose grey layout, all my colleagues get a grey layout for that mailbox. Pain in the..

Thanks guys and girls !
    Arno

Friday, March 29, 2019 3:39 PM

Answers

• Hello Adrian ! Thanks a lot for your quick revert. 
    Well here are some pieces of details, hope they are enough.

Adding shared mailbox : 

- I've tried 3 ways (add through Account settings, opening a separate mailbox, no password required, just correct ACL on the Shared MB, AND auto-mapping from Exchange properties - which is basically similar to first one, AND adding Shared MB with User Name and password)

Categories

- True for the Categories but we are sending hundreds of email and this would be such a loss of time, adding a category to each of them, plus we are already using categories for other purposes.

Rules details : 

- Rules, create new rule from blank rule, each time i send a message, no condition, applying to all outgoing messages, move a copy of the sent message to a specific folder. Then in the Sent Items Folder i add the field "from" and i get the name of the person who "ran" the rule. Then i can sort. However, if you create a draft, close it, open it and send the mail, the rule does not apply.

Layout : 

- For exemple, when i change the "group by" nothing option, all the other users are getting this as well. Or reverse Received date order ... etc.. changes apply to everyone having the Shared MB open.

Hope this clarifies a bit. Now i've been actually coding a Macro to parse every outgoing email, reading signature (which is mandatory in our organization) and move it to correct folder. It reads the first signature found starting for beginning of the mail.

Thanks a lot, have a nice day

Arno

• Marked as answer by Arno Savoy Monday, April 8, 2019 6:42 AM
    Monday, April 1, 2019 11:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Arno,

How do you add Shared MB mounted as a separated account? With shared mailbox’s account and password?
    When sending emails, users can type some specific words in the Subject or assign a specific category. And then create rules to move them to separate folders.

>>created a rule that "corrects" this by copying a copy of the message in the "sent items", and this time, hooray i got the "from" field, on which i can base a rule.
    Would you mind sharing the rule description here so I can reproduce it here?

As for another issue.
    >> can I stop Outlook Mailbox layout to be propagated to all other users sharing the same mailbox ?
    What does the “Mailbox layout” mean?

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, April 1, 2019 9:56 AM
  • Hello Adrian ! Thanks a lot for your quick revert. 
    Well here are some pieces of details, hope they are enough.

Adding shared mailbox : 

- I've tried 3 ways (add through Account settings, opening a separate mailbox, no password required, just correct ACL on the Shared MB, AND auto-mapping from Exchange properties - which is basically similar to first one, AND adding Shared MB with User Name and password)

Categories

- True for the Categories but we are sending hundreds of email and this would be such a loss of time, adding a category to each of them, plus we are already using categories for other purposes.

Rules details : 

- Rules, create new rule from blank rule, each time i send a message, no condition, applying to all outgoing messages, move a copy of the sent message to a specific folder. Then in the Sent Items Folder i add the field "from" and i get the name of the person who "ran" the rule. Then i can sort. However, if you create a draft, close it, open it and send the mail, the rule does not apply.

Layout : 

- For exemple, when i change the "group by" nothing option, all the other users are getting this as well. Or reverse Received date order ... etc.. changes apply to everyone having the Shared MB open.

Hope this clarifies a bit. Now i've been actually coding a Macro to parse every outgoing email, reading signature (which is mandatory in our organization) and move it to correct folder. It reads the first signature found starting for beginning of the mail.

Thanks a lot, have a nice day

Arno

• Marked as answer by Arno Savoy Monday, April 8, 2019 6:42 AM
    Monday, April 1, 2019 11:00 AM
  • Hi,

You’re welcome. I'm glad to see you have found a solution for your problem.

As for the subsidiary question, I tested in my environment but cannot reproduce what is described in your thread. And as far as I know, Outlook view settings will not sync between different clients.

In addition, usually we only discuss one question in one thread. In order to avoid confusion, if you would like further assistance on the second question, please click the “Ask a question” button in the upper left corner to open a separate post for this question. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, April 4, 2019 9:18 AM
  • Hi Arno,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    And if you need further assistance on this, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Monday, April 8, 2019 1:34 AM