none
Installation log file error trying to install QFE4 KB2615782 Hotfix RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install the KB2615782 file DataProtectionManager2010-KB2615782.exe as required to install DPM 2012 and get the following error:

• Microsoft system Center Data Protection Manager 2010 update failed. Refer to the error details below.
    • The DPM Installation failed.Review the error details, take appropriate action, and then run DPM Setup again.
    • Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified log file location exists and that you can write to it.

Any idea where the "specified log file location" should be?

The system DPM 2010 is running on is Windows 2008 R2 Standard w/SP1

Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:52 PM

Answers

• Actually, never mind now; procmon helped me see that my folder c:\DPMLog was required and I guess it had been deleted. I recreated that folder with full admin permissions and this hotfix ran just fine. I guess I'd recommend to MS to first check for the existence of that folder and create it if needed instead of just failing out of the hotfix execution. Of course I'd also recommend to myself not to delete folders that may have future requirements.
    • Marked as answer by dkpruett Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:23 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:23 PM

All replies

• Actually, never mind now; procmon helped me see that my folder c:\DPMLog was required and I guess it had been deleted. I recreated that folder with full admin permissions and this hotfix ran just fine. I guess I'd recommend to MS to first check for the existence of that folder and create it if needed instead of just failing out of the hotfix execution. Of course I'd also recommend to myself not to delete folders that may have future requirements.
    • Marked as answer by dkpruett Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:23 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:23 PM
  • That should actually be "c:\DPMLogs"  you forgot the 's'

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:55 PM