none
Cannot Join Server 2016 R2 Hyper-V to Windows 2003 Domain

Question

• Hi,

FYI: I'm trying to do this task on my at-home network which only has 5 physical machines (and soon any VM's that I create); so I am a domain admin and I have full control over everything...

I'm having trouble joining a new (non-headed) 2016 Server R2 Hyper-V to an existing 2003 domain.  I can ping both the 2003 DC machine and the domain name.  There are a few other machines already joined to the domain so I don't think the problem is with the DC.  attempts to add the machine to the domain result in "Failed to join domain".  The message is nicely worded but as far as a diagnostic message it is completely USELESS!!  So I have a few questions:

1. Can a 2016 Server even join a domain that was created/is hosted by a 2003 server DC? 
    2. If so then might there be a better diagnostic somewhere in the event log?  If so does anybody know where in the event log I should look; the 2016 server event log has @100 sections - I'm guessing "Admin"?
    3. If I resolve this issue is there a "best practice" for using the Hyper-V server itself or a VM as a domain controller so that I can retire my 2003 server?

Thanx in advance for your help!

--Richard

mooseandpebs

Friday, January 6, 2017 2:44 AM

All replies

• 1. Nope

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/identity/ad-ds/windows-server-2016-functional-levels

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Friday, January 6, 2017 3:40 AM
  • 2. netsetup.log is where domjoin activity is recorded

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Friday, January 6, 2017 3:42 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, January 13, 2017 9:15 AM