SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION BSOD (after waking up from sleep?) RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone,

I've been getting some BSODs, with most of the stop names of "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION".  What I've noticed is that they are usually between 2-10 minutes after waking my computer from sleep.

Here is the most recent memory dump and the two most recent minidumps with the same error:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5772230/080414-18330-01.zip

Also, here's a summary of all the memory/mini dumps I have on my computer:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5772230/whocrashed.png

Any ideas? Thanks!
    Fil

• Edited by fmpeyton Monday, August 4, 2014 4:20 PM
    Monday, August 4, 2014 3:36 PM

Answers

• FP

This crash was Related to GRemoteBus.sys virtual joystick Bus Enumerator from GBM Software which has known problems especially with older drivers I would remove it or install the newest driver even if windows says you already have the most current

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for GRemoteBus64.sys
    Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe

Followup: MachineOwner
    ---------

7: kd> !analyze -v
    *******************************************************************************
    *                                                                             *
    *                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION (c9)
    The IO manager has caught a misbehaving driver.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 000000000000021f, A driver has not filled out a dispatch routine for a required IRP major function.
    Arg2: fffff88006193188, The address in the driver's code where the error was detected.
    Arg3: fffff98009386d30, IRP address.
    Arg4: 0000000000000000

Debugging Details:
    ------------------

BUGCHECK_STR:  0xc9_21f

DRIVER_VERIFIER_IO_VIOLATION_TYPE:  21f

FAULTING_IP: 
    GRemoteBus64+8188
    fffff880`06193188 ??              ???

FOLLOWUP_IP: 
    GRemoteBus64+8188

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Marked as answer by fmpeyton Thursday, August 7, 2014 4:32 PM
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 7:45 PM

All replies

• These crashes were related to memory corruption (probably caused by a driver). 

Please run these tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.  

If you are overclocking (pushing the components beyond their design) you should revert to default at least until the crashing is solved. If you don't know what it is you probably are not overclocking.

Since it is more likely to be a driver please run verifier first.
    1-Driver verifier (for complete directions see our wiki here)

If verifier does not find the issue we can move on to this.
    2-Memtest. (You can read more about running memtest here)

If you cannot boot after enabling verifier reboot into safe mode
    In Vista & win & (F8)

Co-Authored by  JMH3143

I would also update the Joystick driver as it is 4 years old

Related to GRemoteBus.sys virtual joystick Bus Enumerator from GBM Software

Monday, August 4, 2014 3:58 PM
  • Just ran Driver Verifier and got BSOD on startup (after "Starting Windows" screen). Here's the new memory.dmp file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5772230/post-verifier.zip

Thanks for your time!

Fil

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 6:33 AM
  • Hi,

This bug check in your new dump file can only occur when Driver Verifier has been instructed to monitor one or more drivers.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 9:45 AM
  • I did instruct Driver Verifier to monitor more than one driver.
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 3:16 PM
  • FP

This crash was Related to GRemoteBus.sys virtual joystick Bus Enumerator from GBM Software which has known problems especially with older drivers I would remove it or install the newest driver even if windows says you already have the most current

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for GRemoteBus64.sys
    Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe

Followup: MachineOwner
    ---------

7: kd> !analyze -v
    *                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION (c9)
    The IO manager has caught a misbehaving driver.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 000000000000021f, A driver has not filled out a dispatch routine for a required IRP major function.
    Arg2: fffff88006193188, The address in the driver's code where the error was detected.
    Arg3: fffff98009386d30, IRP address.
    Arg4: 0000000000000000

Debugging Details:
    ------------------

BUGCHECK_STR:  0xc9_21f

DRIVER_VERIFIER_IO_VIOLATION_TYPE:  21f

FAULTING_IP: 
    GRemoteBus64+8188

FOLLOWUP_IP: 
    GRemoteBus64+8188

• Marked as answer by fmpeyton Thursday, August 7, 2014 4:32 PM
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 7:45 PM
  • Hey everyone,

I've been getting some BSODs, with most of the stop names of "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION".  What I've noticed is that they are usually between 2-10 minutes after waking my computer from sleep.

Here is the most recent memory dump and the two most recent minidumps with the same error:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5772230/080414-18330-01.zip

Also, here's a summary of all the memory/mini dumps I have on my computer:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5772230/whocrashed.png

Any ideas? Thanks!
    Fil

backup your files and install windows fresh

its clear some drivers are mangled badly

Corsair Carbide 300R with window
    Corsair TX850V2 70A@12V
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 6600 Ti FTW Signature 2(Gk104 Kepler)
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M
    Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 7:48 PM
  • Vegan Fanatic - Care to share some insight in which drivers are "mangled badly", rather than just a general summary?
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 9:35 PM
  • ZigZag3143x - I see. Thanks for the insight! I'll take a look tonight.
    • Edited by fmpeyton Tuesday, August 5, 2014 10:32 PM
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 9:35 PM
  • ZigZag3143x - I have uninstalled the GRemote joystick driver. I'll let you know if I get another BSOD.

Thanks for your help so far!

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 2:12 AM
  • Vegan Fanatic - Care to share some insight in which drivers are "mangled badly", rather than just a general summary?

unless I have the machine in my shop I can only provide suggestions

your joystick should not be a problem, I have a few of them in the junk box that still work

Corsair TX850V2 70A@12V
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M
    Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 1:19 PM
  • Vegan Fanatic - What I'm getting at is "fresh install" is not a good answer. ZigZag3143x provided tests to perform and analyzed the data from those tests. It seems like you did no such thing to try to triage my problem, and instead just applied a very broad (and troublesome) solution to a specific problem. And even if I were to consider a fresh install, nothing in your answer gives me reason to believe a fresh install is the right solution. For example, a list of windows drivers that are "mangled badly" would at least give me more trust in your "solution".

Also, my "joystick" is not a traditional joystick, like you are assuming. It is a virtual joystick from a phone app: GRemote (http://gbmsoftware.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22&Itemid=3)

Please take a little more time to investigate before suggesting your "solutions".

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 7:26 PM
  • Vegan Fanatic - What I'm getting at is "fresh install" is not a good answer. ZigZag3143x provided tests to perform and analyzed the data from those tests. It seems like you did no such thing to try to triage my problem, and instead just applied a very broad (and troublesome) solution to a specific problem. And even if I were to consider a fresh install, nothing in your answer gives me reason to believe a fresh install is the right solution. For example, a list of windows drivers that are "mangled badly" would at least give me more trust in your "solution".

Also, my "joystick" is not a traditional joystick, like you are assuming. It is a virtual joystick from a phone app: GRemote (http://gbmsoftware.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22&Itemid=3)

Please take a little more time to investigate before suggesting your "solutions".

go ask the virtual joystick vendor, I cannot work with phone apps as I do not own every make and model of handset 

this is for windows here

Corsair TX850V2 70A@12V
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Thursday, August 7, 2014 1:08 PM
  • Vegan Fanatic - I checked with the app vendor and he gave me good insight into the issue. I also got good insight from ZigZag3143x because he took the time to look into the details of my problem.

And I understand this is a windows forum. I got a BSOD which is a WINDOWS problem. In the future, I would suggest that you don't stick your nose into an issue unless you have a real, useful solution, not just "clean install".

Thursday, August 7, 2014 4:32 PM
  • Vegan Fanatic - I checked with the app vendor and he gave me good insight into the issue. I also got good insight from ZigZag3143x because he took the time to look into the details of my problem.

And I understand this is a windows forum. I got a BSOD which is a WINDOWS problem. In the future, I would suggest that you don't stick your nose into an issue unless you have a real, useful solution, not just "clean install".

BSOD errors will come from any of 10001 different causes. Generally even with 25 minidump files, often they cannot determine what the problem is.

a clean install usually is the fastest way back to work, rather than fight some problem that can be hard to spot.

Corsair TX850V2 70A@12V
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Thursday, August 7, 2014 6:14 PM
  • I understand the complexity of BSODs, but still ZigZag3143x was able to figure out the issue. I  (and most people) know that a clean install will solve nearly all software issues, but that's a last resort solution. I came to these forums for a more insightful answer that that.
    Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:46 PM
  • I understand the complexity of BSODs, but still ZigZag3143x was able to figure out the issue. I  (and most people) know that a clean install will solve nearly all software issues, but that's a last resort solution. I came to these forums for a more insightful answer that that.

One feature I really like with Windows 8.1 is the refresh. It saves libraries etc. But otherwise is a clean install. Speeds up the process big time when Windows craps out due to driver and software problems.

The media hates 8.1, I disagree, its faster, and has even better backwards compatibility.

Corsair TX850V2 70A@12V
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Friday, August 8, 2014 12:28 PM