Windows Defender and Advanced Threat Protection RRS feed

• Question

• Is Windows 10 based Windows Defender sufficient to protect my PC against Viruses and provide the firewall equivalent to commercial 3rd party products such as McAfee and Norton Internet security? Is Defender Advanced Threat Protection now available for Windows 10 (home edition) ?

Thanks

MP

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 7:35 PM

Answers

• Assuming you keep Windows up-to-date, use an up-to-date browser then Windows Defender will give you a decent basic protection.

Last year it received awards in six out of eight tests this year, and takes the Gold Award for Lowest False Positives. Its simple design makes it very easy to use. You can go through the comparative reports and results here:

Anti-Virus Comparative

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

• Edited by S.SenguptaMVP Thursday, December 1, 2016 12:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by mmpai Thursday, December 1, 2016 1:52 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2016 12:30 AM

All replies

• Assuming you keep Windows up-to-date, use an up-to-date browser then Windows Defender will give you a decent basic protection.

Last year it received awards in six out of eight tests this year, and takes the Gold Award for Lowest False Positives. Its simple design makes it very easy to use. You can go through the comparative reports and results here:

Anti-Virus Comparative

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

• Edited by S.SenguptaMVP Thursday, December 1, 2016 12:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by mmpai Thursday, December 1, 2016 1:52 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2016 12:30 AM
  • I have installed MalwareByte Anti Malware (free version) with Windows Defender and WIndows Firewall on my Windows 10 Laptop. The MalwareByte Free version does not have realtime scan. Windows and EDGE browser are updated as and when patches are available.

Hope this is good

Thanks

MP

• Edited by mmpai Thursday, December 1, 2016 1:44 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2016 1:43 AM