Start Menu - how to add a programm with a UNC path? RRS feed

• Question

• It is quite easy to add programms to the start menu with a right mouse click. However, it does not work with all programmms, specially with programs which are not locall stored but on a server. How can they be added to the start menu?
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:35 AM

Answers

All replies

• hi, If you drag and hold the app over the start button it will bring up "Pin to start menu" hold it there for a sec longer and move it up a little and the start menu will open then you can just pin it at the top of the menu by letting go of it at the top where the black line shows up. You can pin anything this way to the start menu including pictures mp3's videos and documents. :)
    • Proposed as answer by JJTech Friday, July 17, 2009 9:41 AM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:41 AM
  • Thanks for the answer. This works with regular programs on the c: drive. However if you have programs on the server with a UNC path it does not work, i.e. no "Pin to start menu" appears...
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:45 AM
  • Thanks for the answer. This works with regular programs on the c: drive. However if you have programs on the server with a UNC path it does not work, i.e. no "Pin to start menu" appears...
    how long did you hold it there? because i just tried it from my server and it took a few seconds to register it then it showed up and allowed me to pin it :)
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:50 AM
    how long did you hold it there? because i just tried it from my server and it took a few seconds to register it then it showed up and allowed me to pin it :)
    ya i just re-setup my server like yours and it wont let me either it shows a cross-out symbol so i guess there's no way of doing it then ;\ oh well
    Friday, July 17, 2009 12:23 PM
  • Do it like this: How to pin folder to taskbar
    And instead of:
    "target = folder name"
    use:
    "target = UNC path to file"
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, July 24, 2009 6:19 AM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 2:46 PM