suggestion RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks;

I have been trying to update Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro (the free update).  I have done this successfully.  I am now trying to update Win 10 Pro using the Anniversary update.  I get things like "something went wrong".  I am currently using the dism tool, and it is slow slogging.  I hate to say this, but MS needs to take a serious look at things like YUM, Apt, and perhaps the various Linux  package managers.

The MS Windows Update tool is slow, clumsy, and difficult to use, In few words, it sucks.  If you cannot do something successfully, do not be to proud to look at things that are successful.

Thanks

nmgeek

Just failed again.  Windows cannot calculate if I have enough space. It checked it at the start and said I was ok.  I get to try again.  This is very frustrating.  Also it has to re download on each try.  This is stupid.
    Again failure -cannot determine sufficient space.

• Edited by nmgeek Tuesday, August 9, 2016 2:15 AM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2016 1:13 AM

Answers

• Hi nmgeek,

"did try the media creation tool with similar results"
    Did you try to download a Windows 10 ISO with that tool then boot from that ISO and choose "Upgrade" install?

"Setup.log is not found"
    Have you enabled "show hidden" option?
    Check this location C:\Windows\Panther, too.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 7:51 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please refer suggestions motioned here, see if something helps:

http://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-anniversary-update-failed-to-install

Hope this helps, Good luck :)

Windows Insider MVP, MS MVP (2014-2016)

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 2:01 AM
  • Hi nmgeek,

Try to download a Windows 10 ISO from the link below and choose "Upgrade" install.
    Windows 10 ISO
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Before we do the upgrade, please ensure the machine has got the latest updates and open an administrator command line to run "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" to check the health of system files. Unplug all the external devices during the upgrade process. Turn off the antivirus software or uninstall it completely.
    To isolate the third party service conflict issue, we could do the upgrade in a clean boot environment.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

If the issue persists, please check the setup.log(C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther) (hidden)for more information to troubleshoot this issue. If you have troubles in analyzing the log, please upload it to OneDrive and paste the link here. We will try to analyze the log for you.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 6:59 AM
  • Nothing.  Either get ox80070002 or that windows cannot determine if there is sufficient space, even though it checks that successfully when it begins.  I have tried everything that I have found suggested both here and elsewhere.  Nothing.  Setup.log is not found.  trying once more.  Windows update sucks, and I reiterate my suggestion that MS take a look at others that have succeeded at this
    Friday, August 12, 2016 7:27 PM
  • did try the media creation tool with similar results

Friday, August 12, 2016 7:29 PM
  • have tried everything suggested, here and elsewhere, pig does not work, either 0x80070002 or cannot determine if there is sufficient space.  I would like to reiterate my suggestion that MS take a look at others who succeed at this.

If this is what one of the largest software houses on the planet puts out, that is pitiful, on the other hand, I have been doing this since DOS 2.11, and MS has been a hit or miss proposition throughout the years, although, I have found this very frustrating.

Friday, August 12, 2016 7:33 PM
  • tried again, got 0xc1900107, suggestions said run windows update troubles shooter, nothing.
    Friday, August 12, 2016 8:05 PM
  • I am just going to use it as it is, and forget the anniversary update, which is what I was going through this to get.  Microsoft, this is pitiful.  I have been doing MS systems for 28 years, and I have not had this much trouble in years.  I can remember when Linux was tough to install and upgrade, and MS was simple, times have changed, eh?
    Friday, August 12, 2016 8:11 PM
  • last note.  Worked on a client computer this weekend, actually two computers.  One is in a continuous Windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade / reboot loop, and likely will need to be formated.  I find it humorous that through the years, I have run / struggled with old slow hardware, and did ok, now that I am running reasonable hardware, MS is now mucking up on reasonable, nice computers

Monday, August 15, 2016 4:31 PM
  • Hi nmgeek,

"did try the media creation tool with similar results"
    Did you try to download a Windows 10 ISO with that tool then boot from that ISO and choose "Upgrade" install?

"Setup.log is not found"
    Have you enabled "show hidden" option?
    Check this location C:\Windows\Panther, too.

Best regards

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 7:51 AM
  • Hi,

How about the issue, is there anything to update?

Best regards

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 8:14 AM