[UNRESOLVED-CLOSED] Suppress 'Some library features are unavailable' RRS feed

• Question

• We're in a mixed environment as we prepare to rollout Windows 7, upgrading from Windows XP.

We currently have a GPO in place to disable offline files and to prevent users from changing cache configuration settings.  In short here are the settings:

Computer Configuration (Enabled)
     Policies
     Administrative Templates
      Policy definitions (ADMX files) retrieved from the local machine.
      Network/Offline Files
       Allow or Disallow use of the Offline Files feature	Disabled 
       Prevent use of Offline Files folder			Enabled 
       Prohibit user configuration of Offline Files		Enabled 
       Prevents users from changing any cache configuration settings. 
       Remove 'Make Available Offline'			Enabled 
       Synchronize all offline files before logging off	Disabled 
       Synchronize all offline files when logging on		Disabled 
       Turn off reminder balloons				Enabled

User Configuration (Enabled)
     No settings defined.

So we're not redirecting folders anywhere.  Yet, when we do a File > Open in Word, Excel or some other application, we receive a prompt stating "Some library features are unavailable due to unsupported library locations..."

There's an option to hide that message and not show it but I'm having a tough time figuring out what registry change(s) that option is making so that I can suppress it for all users.

Ideas?

• Edited by JuliusPIV Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:52 PM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 3:40 PM

All replies

• Hi JuliusPIV,

I suggest you first check the solution in the following link:

http://technicians-blog.kingcomputer.com.au/windows-7-some-library-features-are-unavailable-due-to-unsupported-library-locations-using-network-drive/

Hope this helps!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:44 AM
  • Hi Sean and thanks for the link.

I stumbled upon that link before posting and re-read it again today in the event I missed something.  Now, maybe I'm still missing something, but I don't think the solution on the site fits the bill.

We currently do not redirect any folders anywhere, especially to a network drive, and we've disabled the use of offline folders.  We do not want our users getting in the habit of storing things outside of our Document Management System.  From time to time there will be a need to save something to the local machine, or on the network like their home drive, but it shouldn't be volumes of 'work product' or data that 'can't be lost'.  (We've run into many situations in the past where offline sync failed for one reason or another and found that many users had several gigs of data traveling between the local machine and the server.  Not efficient.)

I don't think the situation and solution on the page applies to us, but perhaps I misread it.  I checked the Libraries FAQ but didn't see where we were doing something it didn't support:

What types of locations are supported in libraries?

You can include folders in a library from many different locations, such as your computer's C drive, an external hard drive, or a network.

Where is the folder stored?

Can it be included in a library?

On your C drive

Yes.

JPIV - There's no redirection at all on any folders.

On an external hard drive

Yes, but the content won't be available if the drive is disconnected.

JPIV - Very few have external drives; Problem seen on machines that don't have external drives.

On an additional hard disk inside your computer

Yes.

JPIV - Only 1 drive installed; There's no redirection at all.

On a USB flash drive

Only if the device appears in the navigation pane, under Computer, in the Hard Disk Drives section. This is set by the device manufacturer, and in some cases, it can be changed. Contact your manufacturer for more information.

The content won't be available if the drive is disconnected.

JPIV-We're not doing this

On removable media (such as a CD or DVD)

No.

On a network

Yes, as long as the network location is indexed or has been made available offline. (See the question below.)

On a different computer in your homegroup

Yes.

Note

• Only folders can be included in libraries. Other items on your computer (such as saved searches and search connectors) can't be included.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:46 PM