none
How to manage duplicate drivers in MDT 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using the process suggested by Michael Niehaus to manage drivers. Each model has a driver folder. This is great to speed up PnP but I'm running into an issue with a ton of duplicate drivers. Normally I would not care but I am running into a situation where WinPE x64 throws a blue screen (irql_not_less_or_equal) on certain HP models which I have tracked down to the Intel SATA drivers. I do not see any simple solution to this issue.

Is there any relatively simple way to delete the duplicate drivers and replace them with the latest version? Or maybe a different way to build WinPE to get around it?

As an interesting aside I do not get a blue screen when I use the ISO via PXE only booting the ISO from USB. I have tried different USB flash drives to no avail. I have not tried a DVD.

JJ

Thursday, May 8, 2014 6:26 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure if the methods you are using have a separate selection profile for WinPE. If not then I suggest creating this as such and managing the WinPE drivers by exception.

This will also prevent bloating out your boot wim with unnecessary drivers.

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:32 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the response. Is there an article out the somewhere that describes this process?

Thanks again!

JJ

Friday, May 9, 2014 12:37 PM
  • Ah.. I see that you go over it a bit on your blog. I hate to admit it but I'm having a little trouble grasping that piece of it. Let me read it some more and come back with some decent questions.

JJ

Friday, May 9, 2014 12:57 PM
  • Ok. I think I connected the missing dots. Now to find the Lenovo WinPE drivers...

JJ

Friday, May 9, 2014 1:29 PM
  • OK. I have redone the drivers for WinPE which has reduced the image size by about 200MB. Unfortunately the problem persists.

Is there anyway to turn on some sort of boot logging so I can see what driver it is failing on?

I am also still seeing the weird behavior of it working over PXE but blue screens when booting from USB. Can anyone explain that?

JJ

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 12:18 PM