Where is Windows System Image Manager for Windows 10? How do I generate unattend.xml?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Windows 10 Deployment Experts,

Since Windows Vista, I have been using Windows System Image Manager to achieve an unattended installation of my Windows image onto PCs.  So, my process looks something like this:

1. Install WDS, Windows AIK/ADK onto a server.  Configure a share outside of WDS to store regular images.  Add boot.wim from the media of choice to WDS with the necessary network drivers.
    2. Grab install.wim from the Windows media.  Open Windows SIM to create and validate an unattend.xml file with all of my first-run and configuration passes to achieve unattended install.
    3. Install Windows from the physical media onto a physical box.  Install software, updates, add customizations, etc. and then run sysprep with /oobe /generalize /shutdown /unattend:<pathtounattendxml>
    4. PXE Boot the physical machine, capture the image up to the share on the WDS server using WinPE and imagex.
    5. Take the WIM file that I captured, test it on another machine (once again using WinPE and imagex).  If all is good, I add it into WDS for deployment and run with it.

I am reading over the documentation for Windows 10 deployment, and I'm not seeing Windows SIM mentioned anywhere, but rather the new ICD.  I think I understand the basics of what's being introduced, but don't see where I can generate an unattend.xml file...  Also, it looks like the goal of ICD is to spit out new, customized media for me, either to a local folder which contains a file that isn't bootable (??) or to a USB stick (???).  Whatever happened to PXE booting and why can't it just generate the unattend.xml file for folks like me who are 100% happy with the way they are deploying.

Can someone please shed some light for me on the "new way" to do this or can I just keeping using Windows SIM but load up the Windows 10 install.wim??  I am open to using new tools, but DON'T want to use SCCM 2012 R2 for this.  Just want a straightforward solution (like the one above) that I can use in tandem with WDS because my deployment team/help desk is very comfortable with WDS and PXE booting to get an image loaded onto a workstation or laptop.  I don't want to add a whole bunch of complexity into the mix for them like SCCM would inevitably do.

Thanks very much for your responses!

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 3:27 PM

Answers

• You can use WSIM from the Windows 10 ADK.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by Ty Glander Tuesday, June 23, 2015 7:09 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Tuesday, June 23, 2015 8:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by BrainCell Tuesday, June 23, 2015 8:26 PM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2015 7:08 PM

All replies

• You can use WSIM from the Windows 10 ADK.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by Ty Glander Tuesday, June 23, 2015 7:09 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Tuesday, June 23, 2015 8:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by BrainCell Tuesday, June 23, 2015 8:26 PM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2015 7:08 PM
  • Thank you, Ty.  Would like to see Microsoft reference it in the documentation for Windows 10 ADK.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2015 8:27 PM
  • Its currently in Beta stage. I suspect official documentation won't be released until GA for Windows 10 and possibly even get a RTM of the Windows 10 ADK.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2015 3:13 PM