Getting very frustrated with windows green bar. Why is there no fix? RRS feed

• Question

• I have run into this before. Some times when I attach an external drive I get a an unexplained green progress bar.  This is annoying even if it works, but when it never finishes, it is more than annoying. It happened on my Windows 7 desktop.  Now on my Windows 7 laptop,  I have no external drive attached.  The machine recently rebooted itself with the latest maintenance. I clicked on Network Magic.  It opened a window and the screen bar started.  The screen bar starts out fast and gets progressively slower. It never finishes.

I consider this a major bug.  Why is there no fix?

Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:30 PM

Answers

• This green bar indicates that Windows Explorer is traversing and indexing the location for searches to be faster. You can always press the red cross [X] at the end of the bar to stop this green bar.

When the green bar never finishes, it could denote a problem with your Disk. This is because Windows Explorer's traversing can be hindered if there are file system errors or bad sectors on the disk, hence not allowing it to finish. In this case, I would recommend you to run a Check Disk on the disk. To do so, right-click on the volume and go to it's properties. Click on the Tools tab. Under Error-checking, click on Check now... Select appropriate settings and then begin the Scan.

Hence, this is not a bug. Please revert back if you have any other queries. Hope it helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast | My first TechNet Wiki Article
    • Proposed as answer by Miya Yao Monday, September 5, 2011 7:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:18 AM
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 9:55 PM