none
DVD stopped working

Question

• Last night, Windows updated to V1607 and my computer's DVD player stopped working.  When I insert a DVD the player starts and I get a momentary Windows message to insert a DVD and then the message disappears.  No error codes.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:39 PM

All replies

• Last night, Windows updated to V1607 and my computer's DVD player stopped working.  When I insert a DVD the player starts and I get a momentary Windows message to insert a DVD and then the message disappears.  No error codes.

Windows 10 can no longer play DVDs. Microsoft has removed that function from Windows 10.
    Windows 10 will play video files, but not DVDs.

Please install VLC for Windows.
    It is free.
    It is widely used by Windows users.
    It also plays almost all formats of video files, so you don't have to worry about compatible codecs.

I use it and I recommend it.
    Of course, there are many more 3rd party media players available in the web. Google for them if you want to try them out.

VLC Media Player for Windows
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

• Edited by david hk129 Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:09 PM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:08 PM
  • If you decide to try out VLC, one more thing you should do after installing VLC.
    You can let Windows Media Player to play audios as usual , and VLC to play videos by setting the autoplay.

Go to AutoPlay and set VLC to play vides and DVDs.

In the search box, type control panel > top right, click View by > select either Small or Large > select AutoPlay > check the box " Choose what to do with each type of media" > use my screenshot as example to set your VLC autoplay.............

• Edited by david hk129 Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:21 PM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:16 PM
  • Hi idontwantto,

What is the exact machine model? What is the status of the CD/DVD device in the device manager?

Please try to download the latest Windows 10 compatible driver for your CD/DVD device from the device manufacturer website. To make a device work well, we should get compatible drivers and the drivers are usually released by the device manufacturer website.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 17, 2017 2:30 AM