can't install any 3rd party software on windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows 7 installed (64bit) on a Toshiba Satellitie with not very much special software added, however in the last few weeks I haven't been able to run any installers.

That means from downloads (such as SkyPlayer), DVD (Football Manger), and updates to already-installer programs (Picassa).

Downloading anything and running (I'm an admin user but also by selecting "Run as Admin") the installer or letting it run automatically seems to start the installer up (it'll unpack the MSI for example) but then everything stops.

I can't open the task manager at that point and often can't even open any programs up - the CPU is running at 0% but memory is variable (I saw 46% whil trying to run the Picassa update last night). Eventually nothing is responding whatsoever (including the start menu) and I have to switch off manually and then restart in safe-mode to shut down properly.

I'm wondering if there's been a Windows7 update which might have messed around with my UAC (although its turned off) or priviledges or something. Also wondered whether its a graphics driver issue and actually installers are running and just not being displayed but I suspect not.

I'd really rather not have to roll the machine back or reinstall my OS so any ideas on how to solve this would be brilliant.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:32 AM

Answers

• Hi gumbootroo,

Please check if the installer runs in Clean Boot to check the issue. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, you can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue persists, it is possible certain system file is corrupted. Please run System File Checker by referring to this knowledge base (KB) article to check the issue: How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, July 21, 2010 1:30 AM
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:57 AM

All replies

• Looks like your Operating System is corrupt or maybe your infected with a virus. Safe Mode?

C# Fan! ananda84(at)gmail(dot)com
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:09 AM
  • I've run my antivirus (Panda) thoroughly over everything (no bugs) and then run CChecker registry cleaner (which found a bunch of issues and resolved them to no improvement). I've also defragmented the hard drive (no issues found).

I tried something a bit different too - opening Task Manager and then running the installer for SkyPlayer shows that the installer unpacks itself and then appears to be running but is only using about 4MB memory and 0%CPU so its not really doing anything.

What should I try in safe mode to investigate? I can't run the installer as it says I'm not allowed (can't remember the exact term)

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:51 PM
  • The programs I'm trying to install all say that they are supported on and compatible with Windows7. My OS was pre-installed when I bought the laptop and is 64-bit and has not been customized.

The general problem isn't running programs but even installing them at all. I suspect that there's something preventing the installers running - maybe permissions or administrator rights (UAC is off though).

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:53 PM
  • On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 15:25:46 +0000, Francisco Mart?n Garc?a wrote:

I agree with almost everything you say below. Added below is not
    disagreement, but a couple of clarifying points or additions.

Most programs written for Windows Vista also work on Windows 7,

In general, programs were never written for Windows Vista, nor for
    any particular version of Windows. More accurately, the programs were
    written around the era of Vista.

but some older programs may not run correctly or not run at all. To resolve compatibility issues, see Open Troubleshooter program compatibility. For more information about program compatibility, see Getting older programs run in this version of Windows.

Also check here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

If the Troubleshooter program compatibility can not solve the problem, maybe we can run the program on Windows XP Mode. For more information, search for "Windows XP Mode" in Help and Support.

Notes Some programs, like Windows Mail and Outlook Express are no longer included in Windows 7.

Outlook Express has not been included with any version of Windows
    since XP. Windows Mail was included with Windows Vista, replacing
    Outlook Express, but essentially it was nothing but a new version of
    Outlook Express, with a new name.

If using Windows Mail or Outlook Express email program, you need to install a new email program after completing the installation of Windows 7 to read your messages or send and receive email. For more information about the programs that you can use, go to Windows Mail Looking for? in the Windows website.

Outlook Express can not be run under Windows 7. Note that although
    Windows Mail doesn't come with Windows 7, you can copy it from
    Windows Vista and run it in Windows 7.

Most other relatively recent versions of e-mail programs will run
    under Windows 7 without a problem.

If you performed a custom installation of Windows 7, you will need to manually install the programs you want to use Windows 7. Make sure you have the installation disks and product key programs, and the installation files if you downloaded any of the programs on the Internet.

If you run a 64-bit version of Windows and you plan on installing a 32-bit version of Windows 7, it is possible that programs that were designed to run only in a 64-bit operating system will not work.

It's more than possible. It's certain. However, so far there are very
    few 64-bit programs.

Visit the manufacturer's Web site software for more information or go to the website of the Center for Windows 7 compatibility to find information hardware and software compatible with both 32-bit and 64 bit Windows 7.

With an occasional rare exception, a 32-bit programs that runs under
    32-bit Windows 7 will also run under 64-bit Windows 7.

Ken Blake
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:47 PM
  • Hi gumbootroo,

Please check if the installer runs in Clean Boot to check the issue. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, you can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue persists, it is possible certain system file is corrupted. Please run System File Checker by referring to this knowledge base (KB) article to check the issue: How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, July 21, 2010 1:30 AM
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:57 AM