none
XML import alters task finish date RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When I import a project XML saved from MPP,  wtihout making any changes, planned/actual finish dates are automatically modified.

Steps:

1. Create a project with 24Hr calendar with a task nested at 4th level of WBS.

2. Update Finish date of the task as say 2014-04-28 and complete it 100%. Save it as (.xml).

3. The saved .xml contains the finish date correctly as 2014-04-28. Import the xml into MS Project as a new project.

4. Now the finish date of the task is shown as 2014-04-27, reduced by one day automatically.

Can you please let me know what am I missing here? The version I am using is MS Project 2010.

Santhosh

Monday, October 6, 2014 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Santosh,

Reproducing your steps, I cannot reproduce the error you get.

Did you merge the XML file with an existing project or did you created a new one? Which Service Pack do you have? Can you reproduce this behavior with another machine?

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

Monday, October 6, 2014 1:15 PM
  • Santhosh,

You don't give quite enough information to determine if there is an issue or not but here are some things to check in addition to Guillaume's questions.

What is the date and time of the Project Start Date? Did you set the Project calendar to 24 hours or did you just go to Project/Change Working Time and select a 24 hour calendar? You will be able to tell a lot if you set your date format to show the time in addition to the date (File/Options/General group).

John

Monday, October 6, 2014 3:47 PM
  • My sincere apologies for the delayed reply. 

@Guillaume, The MS Project service pack detail is - SP 1 MSO (Version # 14.0.6112.5000)

I am able to reproduce it on other machines as well.

@John

I am sorry that I could not provide all details in my question above. I've tried to provide link the sample project, but I could not since my account not being verified yet.

My project start date is 2014-04-25T08:00:00. The default Calendar I have in my MS Project is 24Hr calendar which I used to create this project. I will try enabling Time component in view and let you know if I get any clue.

Please let me know in case if you need any further information to understand the issue. Below is the link to the project sample.

Thank you for your time.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxpBPYqIZx9jdDlHcGx4aDNZckk/view?usp=sharing

Saturday, October 11, 2014 5:47 AM
  • Hi,

Before saving your file as an XML, try to insert the task calendar column and assign the 24 hours calendar to the task. It should work then.

Displaying the date format with the time, you'll see that after importing back the XML file as MPP the task runs from 8am to 4pm thus the 24hrs project calendar is not taken into account. Consequently the duration is not anymore 3d but 2.33d. That's why the task finish ealier after importing back the XML file.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

Saturday, October 11, 2014 1:14 PM
  • Kalyanv71,

Sorry but I couldn't open your link using Firefox. It must require a special decoder ring that I don't have.

Nonetheless, the Project Start Date says it all. It has everything start at 8:00 am. If you want to use the 24 hour calendar, the start time of the Project Start Date needs to be reset to 12:00 AM (e.g. 2014-04-25 12:00:00 AM).

John

Saturday, October 11, 2014 4:25 PM