none
DPM 2010 Failed to update permissions used for end-user recovery RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently appled the QFE http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=f399fbfa-5c8b-4eb6-bda2-ea997745919a to my DPM 2010 server and ever since I keep getting the error every hour (after a backup job runs).

Failed to update permissions used for end-user recovery on HCCDPM.hailshamcc.local. Permissions update failed for the following reason: (ID: 3123)

Unable to update shares or share permissions. (ID: 3050)

I have tried restarting all the servers but the problem reappears on the next backup job. I've looked up the error and it looks like it relates to orphaned shares, but no shares have been changed. I didn't get this error before installing the QFE (when I was on version 3.0.7696.0)

The end user recovery still seems to work so I'm not sure what the error relates to.

I'm using DPM 2010 version 3.0.7706 with a locally installed SQL database.

Can anyone help?

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 11:30 AM

Answers

• It took me about 2 weeks to repro this issue enough to find a work around. Here we go.

When DPM creates a share on the DPM server to provide EUR, without QFE, for the hidden shares it uses long UNC path starting with the \\?\C :\ and for the normal shares - with the \\?\c :\ as replica path.

After QFE installation DPM uses long UNC path starting with the \\?\c :\ for every share in protection groups. And it tries to update shares on every sync with the same path starting with the \\?\c :\ As long as the path for shares created before QFE installation starts with the \\?\C :\ and EUR is enabled we'll see this error WARNING Updating shares failed for share: ShareName$, replicaPath: \\?\c:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes...

To resolve this issue go in Server Manager, Roles, File Services, Share and Storage Management on the DPM Server and remove all shares with the \\?\C :\ (uppercase) in Local path. DPM will recreate them after the next sync using \\?\c :\ path. After that you won't see this error anymore.

My DPM blog ystartsev.wordpress.com
    • Marked as answer by HailshamCC Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:21 AM
    Saturday, December 25, 2010 9:13 AM

All replies

• I created some log files using MPSRPT http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=721492aa-bdef-410e-855b-5f25a1355bae but all it did was create a 87Mb Cab file full of info I don't know what to do with.

I have found that the message occurs whenever a file based backup finishes running. It affects file backups from all protected servers. Exchange and SQL Backups don't produce the error.

I setup email reporting of errors and I get a message before the error that the problem has been resolved e.g

The following alert became inactive at 25/11/2010 16:27:02.

Computer: NO_PARAM

Description: Failed to update end-user recovery permissions.

For more information, open DPM Administrator Console and review the alert details in the Monitoring task area.

Then the error message soon appears afterwards.

The following alert occurred at 25/11/2010 16:27:02.

Computer: HCCDPM.hailshamcc.local

Description: Failed to update end-user recovery permissions.

Unable to update shares or share permissions.

For more information, open DPM Administrator Console and review the alert details in the Monitoring task area.

Please, I really need some help.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:35 PM
  • I've got a bit further in diagnosing this problem.

If I go in Server Manager, Roles, File Services, Share and Storage Management on the DPM Server. All of the DPM shares have red crosses on them.

If I click propeties of a share it says cannot verify the folder exists, illegal characters in path.

All shares are in the form \\?c:\Program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replia\File System\vol_

Can someone confim the shares should have \\? in it and if I delete the shares will DPM recreate them?

Monday, November 29, 2010 10:39 AM
  • Still no help??? - :( Oh Well, I guess I'll continue my monologue........

I've tried turning off EUR and the error goes away and so do all the crossed shares. But this feature was one of the main reasons we moved over to DPM and I want it to work, like it did before I installed the QFE.

Things I also tried:

All shares on the DPM server are accessible from other computers

I can access the data using the unc (\\?\c:\.....) shown in the share management if I put it in the run box.

If I remove a share it gets recreated.

I could try removing the QFE but it was a pain updating the client on the protected servers and it's something I don't really want to revisit.

Are there any Service Packs in production for DPM? as it's clearly broken!

I'm reaching the end of my teather soon, and I'll have to resort to trusing our data to a proper backup system like Backup Exec rather than wasting hours on DPM!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:25 PM
  • While this isn;t any help in resolving your situation, I can say that this recently started occuring for me as well.

And I am not finding a lot of help online.

- Scott W.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 6:45 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

Yes, it was one of the few matches google provided me with. I did find a few broken shares on some servers and removed them but still get the error, ALL THE TIME!!!! Users now get no previous versions listed at all - so EUR is 100% broken

Do your shares on the DPM Server (Which the logs indicate is where the error occurs) also show as invalid in the share and storage mgmt? Just trying to check if this is what they should look like.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 10:48 PM
  • Hi,

To get info what volume or share is causing the error - search for Updating shares failed for share: in the %DPMInstallDir%\temp\ MSDPMCurr.errlog

Windows Share And Storage Management Console shows shares created by DPM as invalid - it is normal and not causing your problem. All shares should have \\? in it. It's "Long UNC" path. "Long UNC" enables DPM to use path with more than 260 characters in it.

Monday, December 13, 2010 3:36 PM
  • Hi Startsev,

Thanks for your post. I have searched the log file and found several shares with that error e.g.

3.397 08 ShareInquiry.cs(948)  65B9D6C2-2F13-4B64-AE18-72B9C41C3933 WARNING Updating shares failed for share: MTATempStore$, replicaPath: \\?\c:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\File System\vol_f996bad8-0670-409d-ae3c-b39e8ba1814d\43e2c62e-b1fd-4ee7-89e8-aa6ae942c164\Full\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Temp\MTA, error: 2310

I did a quick google and it looks as though error: 2310 means the shared resource does not exist. but I can access the share (\\server\MTATempStore$) and the long UNC path replica path with no errors.

Is it because they are hidden shares? What should I do next?

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 4:03 PM
  • It took me about 2 weeks to repro this issue enough to find a work around. Here we go.

When DPM creates a share on the DPM server to provide EUR, without QFE, for the hidden shares it uses long UNC path starting with the \\?\C :\ and for the normal shares - with the \\?\c :\ as replica path.

After QFE installation DPM uses long UNC path starting with the \\?\c :\ for every share in protection groups. And it tries to update shares on every sync with the same path starting with the \\?\c :\ As long as the path for shares created before QFE installation starts with the \\?\C :\ and EUR is enabled we'll see this error WARNING Updating shares failed for share: ShareName$, replicaPath: \\?\c:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes...

To resolve this issue go in Server Manager, Roles, File Services, Share and Storage Management on the DPM Server and remove all shares with the \\?\C :\ (uppercase) in Local path. DPM will recreate them after the next sync using \\?\c :\ path. After that you won't see this error anymore.

• Marked as answer by HailshamCC Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:21 AM
    Saturday, December 25, 2010 9:13 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks so much for your efforts. I stopped sharing all the \\? paths with a capital C (which was most of them), reticked the EUR box in options and it started working again with no error.

Horray,

Thank you - Happy New Year!

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:20 AM
  • Yegor,

You just saved me from going crazy... Thank you so much!.

As for Microsoft WTF with the upper case to begin with..

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Yegor,

Thank you! Fixed my issue as well.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 2:47 AM
  • Yegor -

Just wanted to say thanks. Your solution worked perfectly!

Monday, October 31, 2011 7:54 PM
  • What if the local paths don't have any \\?\C:\ like shares?

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Throwing my thanks in here as well.  This has had me pulling my hair out for months.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:25 AM
  • I came across this problem recently as well.  I solved this by finding the actually folder share and making sure both system and administrators had full permissions there.  I believe you can still delete these and DPM will automatically recreate them.  I would also check your system container in active directory for MS-ShareMapsConfiguration.  You can view it's properties by right clicking on each share and going to properties and then clicking on the attribute editor tab.

Good luck!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:39 AM