App-V 5 Adobe Creative Cloud (CC) Enterprise Licensing Error 213:19 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I've posted this on Adobe forums but also posting here to see if anyone else has experienced/overcome this issue.

I'm attempting to create an App-V 5 sequence for Adobe Creative Cloud Enterprise software, but I appear to be getting licensing errors when launching the App-V sequence.

From what I understand in Adobe Create Cloud Enterprise, the licensing restrictions which tie the license to the machine have now been removed so that the base packages can be created with serial numbers and can be included within build images etc as opposed to creating a trial package and then using a serialization file at install/launch time.

To start with I've created a package using the Adobe Creative Cloud Packager tool (CCP) for just the Illustrator CC application which includes the serial number. I've  then sequenced this package using App-V 5 SP1.

When I run this app-v sequence on a test machine , Illustrator loads but I end up with a 213:19 error. Looking in the amt3.log the full error is 

09/24/13 16:58:35:478 | [ERROR] |  |  |  | SLCoreService |  |  | 5624 | error deleting bad mkey:
    09/24/13 16:58:35:478 | [ERROR] |  |  |  | SLCoreService |  |  | 5624 | Could not load machine key
    09/24/13 16:58:35:478 | [ERROR] |  |  |  | SLCoreService |  |  | 5624 | License store synchronization took 14.6 ms and return "License Store Access Failure: Machine key cannot be deleted (213:19)".
    09/24/13 16:58:35:539 | [INFO] |  |  |  | ALM |  |  | 5624 | _time_: (func: ALM_License_SilentValidate, duration: 0.078 sec)
    09/24/13 16:58:35:539 | [INFO] |  |  |  | ALM |  |  | 5624 | _info_: ALM_License_SilentValidate return license status: Invalid and error: 213 : 19
    09/24/13 16:58:35:539 | [ERROR] |  |  |  | ALMService |  |  | 5624 | ERROR: License_Check error 213:19. (Errno = 2)

I've tested out modifying permissions on the following folders within the app-v package under root but this has no effect.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD\

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\SLStore

I've also tried creating a package using a trial licence and then using the adobe_prtk.exe tool to serialize the product at launch (startprocess event in userconfig file) with no success.

Anyone tried this or have any ideas?

• Edited by Carlitog Wednesday, September 25, 2013 12:02 AM typo
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 11:57 PM

Answers

• Ok, I've done some more testing and can confirm that the following works as I know longer receive any errors and the product is licensed/activated. There appears to be no need to use the adobe_prtk.exe tool to activate on launch each time.

1. Create a package using CCP including a serial number

2. Sequence the package and run at least once - exclude C:\ProgramData\Adobe\SLStore (Thanks Sander!) and PVAD as C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CC

Performance is a bit slower than a normal installation - launch looks to be about twice as slow.

Also I keep getting the Adobe Application Manager (PDApp.exe) Creative Cloud Membership Enterprise sign-in window popping up and also the adobe product improvement pop-up.

This doesn't occur for a manual install using the same CCP created package - product improvement is disabled and sign-in doesn't  pop up although you can bring it up in you choose via Help\Sign-in.

Maybe some settings are missing from the sequence.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 5:46 AM
  • Hi, I've figured out why the Adobe Product Improvement windows displays under App-V event though its disabled. The setting is stored in HKLM\Software\Policies\Adobe\APIP\enabed=0

As App-V ignores the policy key the setting doesnt take affect. Adding the setting to the local registry works, so I'll have to add this as a packagepublish script or group policy.

For the PDApp.exe, I dont really want to delete the exe as users may wish to sign in / create account etc. Also clicking on Help\Sign-in causes an error if pdapp.exe doesnt exist.

Friday, September 27, 2013 6:33 AM

All replies

• Hello, thanks for the reply.

I have read those articles (multiple times :-)) I've installed the required c++ redistributables on the sequencer and also on the test machines.

I'm not getting any errors being reported in the App-V eventlogs.

I initially used the adobe_prtk.exe tool to serialize the app-v application at launch via startprocess in the userconfig file as shown. This runs but it doesn't work around this issue.

<UserScripts>
          <StartProcess  RunInVirtualEnvironment="true">
            <Path>[{AppVPackageRoot}]\..\Scripts\adobe_prtk.exe</Path>
            <Arguments>--tool=VolumeSerialize --provfile=[{AppVPackageRoot}]\..\Scripts\prov.xml</Arguments>
            <Wait RollbackOnError="true"/>
     <ApplicationId>[{AppVPackageRoot}]\Support Files\Contents\Windows\Illustrator.exe</ApplicationId>
          </StartProcess>
        </UserScripts>

Following that I read that AAMEE 3.1 removed the (http://blogs.adobe.com/oobe/2012/09/aamee-3-1or-why-puffer-fish-is-a-delicacy.html) machine to license issue therefore allowing packages to be created using serial numbers and to be included within build images.

As I'm packaging Creative Cloud (not CS6), I'm assuming this has been carried into the Creative Cloud Packager for Enterprise which now must be used.

Any other ideas appreciated.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:30 AM
  • I have not yet sequenced the most recent Creative Suite packages, but recently did a couple of the CS5.5 applications in App-V 5.0 SP1.

In the sequencer, I created an exclusion for C:\ProgramData\Adobe\SLStore. This way, the files created there during sequencing are not included in the package. When starting the package on the client computer, the files are created (inside the bubble) for that user, solving the problem for me.

As for the Adobe PCD folder, if it still needs write access there (this was the case in CS5.5, may not be like that anymore in later versions), use it as your PVAD... That's what I did and although this causes most of the application to end up in the VFS (with default installation paths), it did solve my problem as users have write permissions within the PVAD. This may have impact on application performance, although I am not sure if that is still the case in current configurations.

I do miss unchecking the "Enforce security descriptors" option from App-V 4.6 in these situations...

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:35 AM
  • Hi there, appreciate your comments.

I definitely had problems with permissions on C:\ProgramData\Adobe\SLStore and also C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\SLCache. I was looking at the Adobe PCD folder as a possible cause of the issue I have, but I am getting the files (pcd.db) being created in the users localappdata which indicates it does have write access.

The actual permissions on this folder that the app creates are Everyone:Read & Administrators: Full Control

I agree regarding the uncheck enforece security descriptors. What I have been doing to test out different solutions is modifying the permissions in the folders under C:\ProgramData\App-V using icacls.exe as the system account.

I'll try out adding the exclusion for C:\ProgramData\Adobe\SLStore and also using Adobe PCD as the PVAD and update the results here.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:55 AM
  • Ok, I've done some more testing and can confirm that the following works as I know longer receive any errors and the product is licensed/activated. There appears to be no need to use the adobe_prtk.exe tool to activate on launch each time.

1. Create a package using CCP including a serial number

2. Sequence the package and run at least once - exclude C:\ProgramData\Adobe\SLStore (Thanks Sander!) and PVAD as C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CC

Performance is a bit slower than a normal installation - launch looks to be about twice as slow.

Also I keep getting the Adobe Application Manager (PDApp.exe) Creative Cloud Membership Enterprise sign-in window popping up and also the adobe product improvement pop-up.

This doesn't occur for a manual install using the same CCP created package - product improvement is disabled and sign-in doesn't  pop up although you can bring it up in you choose via Help\Sign-in.

Maybe some settings are missing from the sequence.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 5:46 AM
  • I remember renaming/deleting PDApp.exe on an Adobe application once, but I don't remember which application or version. It may be worth a try.
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 5:51 AM
  • Hi, I've figured out why the Adobe Product Improvement windows displays under App-V event though its disabled. The setting is stored in HKLM\Software\Policies\Adobe\APIP\enabed=0

As App-V ignores the policy key the setting doesnt take affect. Adding the setting to the local registry works, so I'll have to add this as a packagepublish script or group policy.

For the PDApp.exe, I dont really want to delete the exe as users may wish to sign in / create account etc. Also clicking on Help\Sign-in causes an error if pdapp.exe doesnt exist.

Friday, September 27, 2013 6:33 AM
  • I just wanted to add a little information with my experience sequencing Creative Cloud for Teams.

Using Carlitog's directions I sequenced the application, however, when I published Indesign CC 2014 on Citrix Xenapp I would get the trial expired dialog box the first time I ran the application.

We found that the system created a second licensing cache in c:\program files(x86)\common files\adobe\slcache when I logged in to Creative Cloud to test the application during the sequencing process.

The fix was to delete the files from the package after sequencing, but before saving the final package. I didn't exclude the folder as there is a sub-folder that may be needed. I had 17 files in the directory that I removed. The file names are unique to your license as they are encoded base 64 all ending in .slc

Hope this helps

Derek

• Edited by Derek Benak Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:05 PM added additional clarification
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:01 PM