none
Force Sync of Timesheet Administrative Work Items to Reporting Database RRS feed

  • Question

  • Earlier this summer we had a serious issue with rebuilding the Reporting database. The job failed quite early and afterwards we were missing a lot of projects in the reporting database. We did 'resolve' this by re-publishing projects one by one and this was overall successful.

    Once we have upgraded to SP1 and the latest CUs next month we will ensure that all projects are publishing correct and then try to do a rebuild of the reporting database again.

    Meanwhile we are seeing another issue: When closing timesheet periods this is not synched with the reporting database. We get a failure with the stored procedure MSP_EpmSyncPeriodInTimesheetProject (returns -1). This fails due to missing records in the MSP_EpmTask table for the Timesheet Administrative Work Items project.

    Does anyone know if you can force a sync of this project like you would do with publish of another project?

    Thanks and regards, Stig


    Regards, Stig
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 11:08 AM

Answers

  • Just to close this off: We first tested this with the June CU and still got similar issues to what we had before.

    We have now installed and tested this rebuild with the October 2011 CU and this resolved the issue. Most likely the August CU would have done the job as weel, but we did not test that.


    Regards, Stig
    • Marked as answer by Stig Monday, November 28, 2011 1:49 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 1:49 PM

All replies

  • Great question Stig - and one I'm not sure I have a good answer for.  My best guess it that you could edit some of the timesheet metadata such as adding an extra timesheet period - or a new timesheet class - but I suspect this is actually at the timesheet line level and may only get sync'd as part of the reporting database refresh.  The fix for the problem that may have caused your earlier RDB problems was in the August Cumulative Update and that will be your best bet.  If you urgently need this working before then I'd suggest opening a support incident and we can see what we can do to help.  If you go this route then ping me at brian.smith@microsoft.com and I can keep an eye on the case from this end.  Chances are the first response will be to load the CU.

    Best regards,

    Brian.


    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, September 16, 2011 9:32 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks for the answer, Brian. We did try updating the timesheet periods, but it turns out that we also have an issue with synchronizing these. The timesheet period table in the reporting database has different period statuses than in the published database.

    Our plan now will be to get SP1 and June CU installed (as we have tested with that) in beginning of October. We will then try rebuilding the reporting database. If that still shows issues we will also go for getting the latest CUs installed (so also the August one) and try it again. If this all does not work out we will open a case.

    I will update this thread with the results of our efforts.

    Thanks and regards, Stig


    Regards, Stig
    Monday, September 19, 2011 8:15 AM
  • Hi Stig,  If you have less than 1500 or so resources then the re-build should be fine with SP1 and the June CU - if you have over this then the fix in the August Cumulative update will resolve the problem.

    Description of the fix:  The reporting database update job fails in Project Server 2010. Therefore, other jobs that are marked with "waiting to be processed" that follow the update job in the queue are auto canceled.

    Best regards,

     

    Brian.


    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:00 PM
    Owner
  • Just to close this off: We first tested this with the June CU and still got similar issues to what we had before.

    We have now installed and tested this rebuild with the October 2011 CU and this resolved the issue. Most likely the August CU would have done the job as weel, but we did not test that.


    Regards, Stig
    • Marked as answer by Stig Monday, November 28, 2011 1:49 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 1:49 PM