Need Infromation DNS Forwarding RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Hope all are doing good. I have one question regarding DNS Forwarding.

If I want to resolve one domain say xyz.com with the help of our internal DNS Server then one option is to get the DNS Server IP of xyz.com and do the forwarding, another option is to create a zone in our DNS Server and add all the IP's and host name of  xyz.com in that zone.

Is there any other way apart from above two which can help to resolve this issue.

One issue I am finding that if suppose I create a zone and if I miss to add some records in that zone then it will fail, so is there any way that it resolve from external DNS.

Any help applicable.

Thanks

Mukesh

Mukesh Bisht

Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You have the following solutions for DNS resolution across domains:

-          DNS forwarding

A forwarder is a Domain Name System (DNS) server on a network that is used to forward DNS queries for external DNS names to DNS servers outside that network. You can also configure your server to forward queries according to specific domain names using conditional forwarders.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754941(v=ws.11).aspx

-          Create a stub zone

A stub zone is a copy of a zone that contains only those resource records that are necessary to identify the authoritative Domain Name System (DNS) servers for that zone. Typically, you use a stub zone to resolve names between separate DNS namespaces.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754190(v=ws.11).aspx

-          You can also create a secondary zone

Secondary DNS servers maintain a read-only copy of zone data that is transferred periodically from the primary DNS server for the zone.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816885(WS.10).aspx

The problem with secondary zone is since it is not stored in AD you have to setup a secondary zone on all your DNS servers.

FrenchITGuy.com

• Proposed as answer by Ryan-Smith Thursday, August 11, 2016 3:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:11 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You have the following solutions for DNS resolution across domains:

-          DNS forwarding

A forwarder is a Domain Name System (DNS) server on a network that is used to forward DNS queries for external DNS names to DNS servers outside that network. You can also configure your server to forward queries according to specific domain names using conditional forwarders.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754941(v=ws.11).aspx

-          Create a stub zone

A stub zone is a copy of a zone that contains only those resource records that are necessary to identify the authoritative Domain Name System (DNS) servers for that zone. Typically, you use a stub zone to resolve names between separate DNS namespaces.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754190(v=ws.11).aspx

-          You can also create a secondary zone

Secondary DNS servers maintain a read-only copy of zone data that is transferred periodically from the primary DNS server for the zone.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816885(WS.10).aspx

The problem with secondary zone is since it is not stored in AD you have to setup a secondary zone on all your DNS servers.

FrenchITGuy.com

• Proposed as answer by Ryan-Smith Thursday, August 11, 2016 3:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:11 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:35 PM
  • Hi Mukesh,

>>If I want to resolve one domain say xyz.com with the help of our internal DNS Server then one option is to get the DNS Server IP of xyz.com and do the forwarding

I think you could create conditional forwarder.

A conditional forwarder is a domain name system server on a network that you use to forward DNS queries according to the DNS domain name in the query.

You could follow the link below for further understanding:

Assign a Conditional Forwarder for a Domain Name

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794735(v=ws.10).aspx

>>One issue I am finding that if suppose I create a zone and if I miss to add some records in that zone then it will fail, so is there any way that it resolve from external DNS.

You could create secondary zone to transfer records of primary zone.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, August 12, 2016 3:07 AM
  • Thanks Guys,

My issue is that I don't have internal Name Server of xyz.com so can't do the forwarding.

Another option is to create Secondary zone, but it will also contain the same information of Primary zone and transfer same record periodically.

My question is if we miss to add any host record in Primary zone then same record will not available in secondary zone then will it forward the query to any other server or will it drop.

Thanks

Mukesh

Mukesh Bisht

Friday, August 12, 2016 5:29 AM
  • Hi Mukesh,

>>will it forward the query to any other server or will it drop.

No, DNS server will not forward the query to other DNS server.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, August 12, 2016 6:03 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:55 AM
  • Still no solution.

Mukesh Bisht

Saturday, October 8, 2016 10:59 AM
  • Hi Mukesh,

Have you tried to deploy conditional forwarder?

How about the result of operation?

Could you please post detail information about your issue to here for further support?

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 10, 2016 7:58 AM
  • Hi John,

Conditional forwarder is already deployed, but issue is that sometime it resolve and sometime not. It works for some clients but at the same time doesn't work for other clients. Not sure the reason. Enabled diagnosis but not having enough information.

Thanks

Mukesh

Mukesh Bisht

Thursday, December 8, 2016 9:44 AM
  • Hi Mukesh,

Another way is that create secondary DNS zone, and transfer data from external domain DNS server.

>>It works for some clients but at the same time doesn't work for other clients.

Please try to catch network packet and check if these clients has sent query request to DNS server, and DNS server has forward request to conditional forwarder.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Friday, December 9, 2016 6:44 AM