none
Internet Explorer Can not Open Files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have an issue with a client that tries opening/ saving a document in IE 11,

This has happened two days in a row now, where everything is working normally, and then all of a sudden, when he tries opening, tries saving, or saving as, nothing happens anymore. It just blocks.

After killing the process through task manager, Everything works normally again, until the next time the error happens again,

Is there a way to debug this? some useful logs, or event viewer logs that can be activated on Windows 10 / IE 11 ?

Is there maybe a KB that needs to be installed, could it be cause by a recent KB installation?

How should i proceed on this issue?

Thanks

Stefan

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 2:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Stefan,

By default no events are being logged for Internet Explorer. So I’m afraid that we may not find some useful information from log because it isn’t a crash. We could enable IE event log as described in the link below to have a try.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/Windows7/AdminTips/Miscellaneous/EnablingeventloggingforInternetExplorer.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

I suggest that we could use the command “sfc /scannow” to repair the system files. Then we could open IE in no add-on mode to check.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17447/windows-internet-explorer-11-manage-add-ons

The issue may be caused be the IE index file is damaged. We could follow the steps in the link below to repair.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/306837

If the issue still insists, we could disable and enable Internet Explorer from below steps:

1.Type Control Panel in the search box from desktop and select Control Panel.

2.Click on View all in the left pane and click on Programs and Features.

3.Select Turn Windows Features on or off.

4.In Windows features window, uncheck the Internet Explorer program.

If the issue occurred recently, I suggest that we could try use the system restore to get a healthy state.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 15, 2016 2:51 AM
  • Hi WinDirSteGr,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved? Because the case may be closed few days later.
    If you feel the suggestion could be helpful to you, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    If no, please feel free to post back and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best regards,
    Carl Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 9:27 AM
  • Hi

Sorry about the long delay,

The issue was fixed by resetting IE completly, it's not a perfect fix, but for users that aren't using IE actively it works.

Friday, November 4, 2016 10:54 AM