ExFAT volume keeps getting "dirty" daily RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - 

I am a video editor, but work on a PC (a heresy in the industry) and am always on the search for more interoperability between PCs and Macs, especially when it comes to filesystems.  I thought that I had found a saving grace when I found the ExFAT system last year.  I tested it out for a while, and then feeling comfortable with it after a while, formatted a 6TB drive (G-Tech G-RAID) with the system and loaded a project onto it.

I've been editing on it for almost 6 months, and have increasingly been experiencing a "dirty" volume that I need to run chkdsk /f to resolve.  At first, it happened (due to an unexpected shutdown) and I fixed it and it didn't come back for a few months.  However, over the last month I have had my drive lapse into the read-only "dirty" state on what's now a daily basis.  I will chkdsk and it's fine... for a while.  Many times until I restart my computer.

Whenever I run chkdsk it finds corruption in a set of .CHK files in hidden folders called FOUND.001, FOUND.002, etc, which as I understand are the raw data from files that prior iterations of chkdsk found corrupted and fixed.  Everytime I run chkdsk it finds corruption in the most recent batch .CHK files in the highest-numbered FOUND folder (I'm up to FOUND.010 now) and then moves a new set of files to a new folder, increasing in number.  I've tried to delete these files, and are able to delete every setexcept the most recent one, because they are corrupted.

I am wondering two things

- How can I delete these files to be done with them forever, and ostensibly prevent the drive from becoming "dirty" again?
    - Is this posing any huge threat to my data?  Am I teetering on the brink of drive failure?

Please help!

Ryan
    Friday, March 30, 2012 3:02 PM

All replies

• You can try this program called unlocker

http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

As to why you have to scan every day im guessing it's like you said. these .CHK files keep getting scanned as dirty. my guess is once these are gone your problems will go away.

Friday, March 30, 2012 7:22 PM
  • Friday, March 30, 2012 8:50 PM
  • I was under the impression that a server will still need to use a file system.  How would a server solve my problems?  I'm all ears :)
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 9:35 PM
  • Mike - 

Unfortunately, because it's a G-RAID, it's comprised of two different drives behind a RAID chip, so there's no SMART info that I can read.

• Edited by Ryan Patch Saturday, March 31, 2012 9:36 PM
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Thanks!

I have downloaded the program, but it doesn't come up as an option to manipulate the files.  How would I use it?

Saturday, March 31, 2012 9:37 PM
  • Hi,

I don’t suggest you perform chkdsk frequently.  The files called FOUND.001,FOUND.002 will be cleared when turn off or reboot the computer. They are created by CHKDSK (or similar) during a disk scan performance.  These files are no threat to your data.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:17 AM
  • Hi Ryan,

I am experiencing the exact same issues you describe.  I'm editing with Premiere Pro CC and continually having to run a chkdsk on the hard as there comes a time, probably every two days, when the hard disk won't let me save the project files - which is still only half complete.

Did you find any correlation with the volume becoming dirty and what you were actually doing by any chance?  I seem to have the problem after rendering part of the project. 

• Edited by Stewski1973 Monday, December 7, 2015 8:48 AM
    Monday, December 7, 2015 8:48 AM