Cannot Send Mail from Windows Live Mail or Outlook Express From a Remote Wifi Hotspot RRS feed

• Question

• I am on Windows Vista SP2 and use Windows Live Mail, but this question applies also to my previous Windows Mail and Outlook Express.  I prefer to use Windows Live Mail to Send and Receive emails rather than the Webmail section of my ISP TalkTalk in UK.  It works fine at home on my Broadband line.  But when I go away to a friend's house or a hotel or any Wifi hotspot I can only Receive on Windows Live Mail [or Outlook Express or Windows Mail].  I cannot Send.  I have spoken to my ISP and checked my Servers and they are correct being smtp.talktalk.net for Outgoing Mail.  Authentication is not required.  My ISP insists my problem is a Microsoft Settings problem, nothing to do with them.  As I can Send at home I tend to agree with them.
    How can I change my settings to enable Sending emails away from home on a remote Wifi please?
    Roger Thurston {Silver Surfer, confident user, but not a techie]
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 2:39 PM

All replies

• You can send e-mails at home from your laptop using Windows Live Mail but not when you connect to the network outside home? So that's more of a network issue since you don't change anything in application's settings before you connect the laptop to a different network. It's possible that these networks block access to port 25 (TCP) that is used to connect to smtp.talktalk.net. Network administrators would do that in order to prevent spam from being sent from computers.
    Alternatively, your firewall or antivirus software may prevent you from sending e-mails when you use wireless connection. You may want to try disabling them temporarily to see if it helps. If you use Windows Firewall then check here for information on how to disable it.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:34 PM