UACCE agent problem, Bug? RRS feed

• Question

• I am utilizing the ACT 5.5 toolkit and in the process of deploying the data collection packages along with the user account control compatibility evaluator (UACCE) to the client systems. I have gathered a lot of useful application compatibility info so far however when a client system reboots they are experiencing the explorer window opening to c:\Program files\Microsoft during their logon. 

Looking into this further I gathered that the is trying to start envchange.exe during startup. As I reviewed the registry I noticed the issues was the startup key under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, there is an entry for envchange.exe to start. The path being specified is C:\Program files\Microsoft Agent Framework\Agents\UACCE\envchange.exe.  The problem is the path being specified is without quotation marks. So the farthest it makes it is to the c:\program files\Microsoft\ folder.

To manually fix this we can update the registry to add the quotation marks and it works. My question is has anyone seen this issue and what did they do to resolve it.

Is there a Microsoft fix for this?

Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:07 AM

All replies

• Can't say I've gotten anywhere near where you are with that specific toolkit, but an interesting observation is that it has already successfully scanned over one space in the path name...  The one between "program" and "files".

I've seen a lot of other programs use C:\Program Files in that key as well without quotes, yet clearly they are expecting the subsequent commands to be parsed out using the remaining spaces.  For example, I have one on my system right now:

C:\Program Files\WebDrive\webdrive.exe /trayicon

Clearly this program is EXPECTING Explorer to keep the path together and have the command interpreter split off that switch at the end, yet it uses no quotes.  It works because the manufaturer chose to keep their product name contiguous.

Somebody at Microsoft obviously programmed a magic exception in the interpretation of that filename, probably to "improve compatibility" and it came back to bite them as it allowed subsequent programmers to be lazy with the syntax.

Sigh.  Now they'll probably program another exception for "Microsoft Agent Framework".

-Noel
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:58 PM