none
Seconday Protection

Question

• We've been running a primary / secondary DPM setup for a while now and the primary server is growning old and is being replaced.

We've installed two new primary DPM servers and migrated the data and protection onto the two new servers (this is not the problem area) but I notice that when I try and enabled the seconday protection (servers attached and with no errors, communication is all working) on the offsite server the two new servers dont have the 'Protected Servers' option like the original one does.

Can the secondary DPM server only protect 1 primary server and if so I assume there no work arround?

Regards,

Pure

Friday, December 7, 2012 8:48 AM

Answers

• We decided to install two new DPM servers offsite to protect the two onsite. This has worked. Although I still cannot see anywhere that says DPM can only protect 1 DPM server.

Thanks all.

• Marked as answer by PureTech Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:47 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:47 PM

All replies

• Hi PureTech,

If your primary DPM was Secondary protected by another DPM server you fall into unsupported scenario : "Moving protected servers between DPM servers while under secondary protection is not supported"

See this post and Mike's answer: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmdrbackup/thread/70aa1634-2ad6-4756-af21-7f5852ee042e

The only solution is to call MS support - " The solution entails running a custom SQL script based on your environment to allow moving the PS between DPM Servers".

Stephane.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Friday, December 7, 2012 9:01 AM
  • Hi Stephane,

Thanks for your reply. We're not trying to complete a move of any data. The original primary server has effectivly been retired. There are now two new servers in it's place and onsite protection is working. I've attached the two new servers into the offsite DPM Agent console but when I come to Create a Protection group, I expand either of the two new onsite servers and the 'Protected Servers' option is not present.

I've tested with the two onsite servers, adding each other one another, so 1 protects 2 and 2 protects 1, and the Protected Servers is there. However on our existing offsite server neither option is present. I assume that the secondary offsite DPM server can only have Seconday protection for 1 primary server? In which case I can easily provision two new DPM 2010 servers offsite and have each one protect one of the new onsite servers - before I take the time and effort to do this I wanted to confirm if this was the only path, of if there is a work arround to getting our offsite Secondary Server backing up multiple Pirmary Servers.

Regards,

Pure

Friday, December 7, 2012 9:16 AM
  • We decided to install two new DPM servers offsite to protect the two onsite. This has worked. Although I still cannot see anywhere that says DPM can only protect 1 DPM server.

Thanks all.

• Marked as answer by PureTech Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:47 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:47 PM