none
Unable to collect inventory data from any clients RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've just installed version 9.0 of the MAP Toolkit to assist with a Microsoft licensing audit. The host desktop is running Windows 8.1 Professional.

I'm having problems with inventory and assessment. I'm attempting to inventory "Windows computers with WMI". Discovery method is ADDS.

MAP correctly discovers 93 machines, but has 0% success collecting inventory data.

Looking through the log file, I see this repeated for all machines :-

<2014-03-19 09:20:05.36 WorkerThread27@ImpersonationHelper+ThreadBoundImpersonationContext,E> RunAccessTestDelegate(Device(GUID={72c808fd-eec3-4837-8eef-b2ca2b696f44},DnsHostName='QVAS105')) - Caught unexpected exception (will re-throw): System.BadImageFormatException: Invalid access to memory location. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800703E6)

Googling suggests this is an issue with DEP, but I would have thought MAP would have been DEP aware.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
    Rod

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:46 PM

Answers

• Try running MAP with elevated permissions (right-click "Run as Administrator") to see if that solves the issue. If not, then

I suggest you start with the Inventory Results report to see what failure types you are getting. You can generate that report by selecting the Environment scenario group and clicking on the Inventory Results tile. Once on the scenario detail page, click on generate report in the upper right. Reports are saved to the %My Documents%/MAP/{database name} directory which you can open from the view menu in MAP.

If you look at the “WMI Status” column in the report, you will see the different failure types that MAP encountered while trying to inventory the machine. The common failure types are listed in this TechNet Wiki article with explanations as to what they usually mean. For failures related to authentication, you can use WBEMTEST, which I’ve made a video tutorial on, to troubleshoot the connection faster. The instructions are found in this TechNet Wiki article

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by bigbod Wednesday, March 19, 2014 5:36 AM
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 11:27 PM

All replies

• Try running MAP with elevated permissions (right-click "Run as Administrator") to see if that solves the issue. If not, then

I suggest you start with the Inventory Results report to see what failure types you are getting. You can generate that report by selecting the Environment scenario group and clicking on the Inventory Results tile. Once on the scenario detail page, click on generate report in the upper right. Reports are saved to the %My Documents%/MAP/{database name} directory which you can open from the view menu in MAP.

If you look at the “WMI Status” column in the report, you will see the different failure types that MAP encountered while trying to inventory the machine. The common failure types are listed in this TechNet Wiki article with explanations as to what they usually mean. For failures related to authentication, you can use WBEMTEST, which I’ve made a video tutorial on, to troubleshoot the connection faster. The instructions are found in this TechNet Wiki article

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by bigbod Wednesday, March 19, 2014 5:36 AM
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 11:27 PM
  • Thanks Michael... "Run as Administrator" did the trick!
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 5:37 AM