none
VSS Writer Errors RRS feed

• Question

• I have two different VSS writer events on two different DPM servers, Primary and a Secondary server.

Before I jump into the errors I will tell what has been done recently. We had five 4TB drives on the primary server and we decided to consolidate all the drives into one by moving the data to disk1 using the PowerShell script that was provided. We had some hiccups where data was not moving but eventually it was all moved onto one disk. Immediately after the switch I have been getting a VSS error on the primary DPM server, but only on one VM.

On the primary server I am getting "The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state. Either it was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during the current operation. (ID 30111 Details: VssError:The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information. (0x80042306))" This error ONLY happens to one specific VM which happens to be a Cent OS. We have about four other Linux/CentOS servers that are backing up no problem. I tried removing from the group and adding it back, deleting the backup data and nothing seems to work. All the other 40+ VMs are backing up fine without any VSS errors.   

On the secondary DPM server we have not migrated any data to any other disk yet. We are getting the above error and another error: "DPM encountered a retryable VSS error. (ID 30112 Details: VssError:The writer's timeout expired between the Freeze and Thaw events. (0x800423F2))" This error happened on two different VMs but eventually they completed the backup process without any intervention.

My question is what causes these VSS errors and how can I fix them or prevent them and I'm curious why it is happening to only one VM on the primary?

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 12:22 PM