How do I reactivate the "Always Ask Before Opening This File" popup that appears before I run a program? RRS feed

• Question

• Since XP, I think, there'd be a popup that asks you if you want to run a program that you downloaded. It has a little check box over on the lower left that allows you to disable it. In WinXP this could be re-enabled and in Vista, a simple registry modification would allow you to restore it. However, the Vista mod doesn't work in Win7, since the key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\AttachmentExecute\{0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}) no longer seems to exist. I don't know about you guys, but I like the (minimal) security that "Always Ask Before Opening This File" provides, since it seems to appear with every executable that is run, and you never know, really.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:21 AM

Answers

• Flatterland,

This behavior has been subsumed under User Account Controls in Windows 7. If you'd like, however, you can post this suggestion to our comments thread , where it'll have a better chance of being read and considered by the developers.
    -Alex
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Sunday, May 31, 2009 4:56 PM
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 4:56 PM