Windows 7 Library question RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 7 user that likes to use the libraries for finding his documents.  However, he has seen some strange behavior lately that I am having difficulties resolving.

When the user goes into the libraries and opens certain folders, not all of the items that are in that folder are shown.  One of the folders has 52 items in it, and if we use the path S:\User\My Documents\Folder\Subfolder\ we see all 52 items.  If instead he uses Libraries\Folder\Subfolder\ to get to the same location, only the first 19 items, in alphabetical order, show up.

Does anyone have an idea as to what may cause this issue?

Friday, July 30, 2010 5:18 PM

All replies

• I can appreciate that you might like the direction Microsoft has taken with Libraries.  But the feature just doesn't work very well.

The best advice is to organize your files into folders on your hard drive, and avoid using Libraries.

-Noel

Sunday, August 1, 2010 8:12 PM
  • Hi Villain,

Please try the following suggestions and see if the issue can be resolved:

1. Click Start and select Computer.

2. Right-click Subfolder in the navigation pane and select Delete.

3. Click Yes if asked for confirmation.

Note: Deleting a library does not delete the contents of the included folders. However, you may need to re-add or include your folders manually, if needed.

Then, in the navigation pane of Windows Explorer, right-click Libraries and click Restore default libraries.

This recreates the library that was deleted earlier. This option only restores the default libraries.

For further information, refer the following article:

Libraries: frequently asked questions

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:36 AM